Who knows R.O. water systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an R.O. water system. Every now and then, it seems to start losing waste water when I haven't even used the system for a while. I know they use a lot of water, but this extra loss just bugs me. Is there a valve or something that regularly goes out or can just be cleaned out? I'm not really familiar with the components,besides the filters and tank itself.

Under the sink?
Whole house?
I had the latter and finally got a new well and softener.
They waste 4-8 gallons for every one they clean. Bad for septic if whole house.
Incoming water temp has a lot to do with their efficiency.

We've got a RO for a boiler type system at work. The "waste" flow can be adjusted with a valve (and flow meter) on this system. If you throttle the waste too far, you shorten the lifespan of the RO bundles. If you don't throw away the appropriate amount for your specific water, you force that particulate into the bundles/filters and plug them quicker.

From what I remember from glancing at the RO at work is wasted is roughly 2.5x the product, plus recirculated waste is about a third of the product. You main thing to clog the RO is Ca+Mg, so a softener goes a long way. I don't know how much water you need to produce to make the softener worth it, but we go through over 100 gallons an hour.

Your calling it RO "Reverse Osmosis" which sounds like youre confusing it with a Water Softener which is something different.

RO is a filter unit that sits under your sink ...and just filters.

A water softener needs to regenerate its ability to soften water based on hardness and how many gallons have gone thru the system. With most softeners this is just a timer and flush valve based on an average someone guestimated and can be way off. if you have visitors stay at your house over holidays etc (Not enough) or if you go on vatation (Too Much)... It can waste a lot of water and salt.

Kinetico has a turbine that spins as the water passes thru it and a mechanical valve that flushes only as needed with no timers or electricity needed.

Last edited:
Smallest R.O. I've played with is 1MG/day...800K Gal of water, and 200K Gal of brine/solids waste.

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
Your calling it RO "Reverse Osmosis" which sounds like youre confusing it with a Water Softener which is something different.

RO is a filter unit that sits under your sink ...and just filters.
Not confusing it. It's the 3 filters and a small tank connected to the filters. It is small enough to go under sink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back