brake cleaner cans don't go very far

Status
Not open for further replies.
I emptied out like 3 cans trying to clean off my oil drain pans and clean off my rear differential cover. Even the one that had a decent amount in it didn't last long, although they are a bit old. Do they lose air pressure cause each one had what felt like 25 percent left inside, but it ran out of pressure.

Also can you use carb cleaner if you don't have brake cleaner left? I think carb cleaner is more aggressive and works a little better.

Last edited by a moderator:
They don't seem to go very far at all. And this new non chlorinated stuff is weak. Sprayed a spider today and he ran away. Normally it's instant death.

Heh heh, That stuff isn't good for you. Better to use a putty knife, then a harsh detergent like Simple Green. We used to use 2-3 gallons of gas in a 5 gallon bucket. Leaded gas
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: buck91
Probably more cost effective to mix up some simple green...

+1

50/50 with water. A gallon goes a long way.

Try TSP (trisodium phosphate), you find it in the painting section of hardware stores. We were cleaning the machine shop area of our engineering department. TSP mixed with water and we were wiping decades old grease and oil off machine tools. It took it right down to the paint, everything looked new again.

I think transmission fluid works very well as a cleaner, on a rag or kerosene. Very similar to gasoline. ATF can be mixed with some acetone for amazing cleaning too.

Buy a spray bottle.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
Mineral spirits on a rag works for my oil drain pans.

+1, I use mineral spirits for motorcycle chains, dirt bike air filters, general de-greaser, etc....

Originally Posted By: JetStar
Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
Mineral spirits on a rag works for my oil drain pans.

+1, I use mineral spirits for motorcycle chains, dirt bike air filters, general de-greaser, etc....

Isn't that the same as paint thinner? That stuff is horrible for my hands. Makes the skin have a weird burning/tingly feeling. I still noticed it even with gloves.

Originally Posted By: BreakerBreaker
I think transmission fluid works very well as a cleaner, on a rag or kerosene. Very similar to gasoline. ATF can be mixed with some acetone for amazing cleaning too.

Buy a spray bottle.

Transmission fluid is not detergent. Motor oil cleans better. Transmission oils are designed for dirt to drop out of suspension on the bottom of the pan. No detergents. There are some varnish solvents.

Rod

Used to use gas, leaded of course. Gunk ,which is a harsh detergent in kerosene. Brake cleaner isn't the right thing and is one of the things I swore off and discourage other folks from using it. My breast cancer was from environmental causes, not genetic. What my health freak brother calls methyl-ethyl-bad stuff.
grin2.gif

Brake and carb cleaners are heavily regulated by CARB. I would recommend a motorcycle chain cleaner. They are unregulated because of the niche market and are therefore generally more powerful than those others. That's if you want an aerosol. If you don't care about it being aerosol or residues, there are a ton of options like those listed above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back