Don't use Brake Cleaner on Transmission Pan?

How about 1,1,1-trichloroethane? That stuff will clean up anything and give you various nasty cancers all at the same time.

As long as it looks clean, I doubt that any residue left in the pan would cause any harm. You could wipe it down with the transmission fluid you will be filling it with for good measure.

Probably more along the lines of preventing people from using something like Dawn, not rinsing it well, and getting magic cleaning bubbles in their transmission fluid.

So, do I need to use any cleaner or will just wiping it dry remove everything?
Use your judgment. Entirely up to what you're comfortable with.

The more you wrench the more you'll get comfortable with making these calls yourself. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with asking.

Personally, I'd go to town with non-chlorinated and blow it out (or wipe if no air available). Just don't hit the gasket with excessive solvents -- it might swell or deform.

Honestly, you could use dish soap and clean water. Rinse well, wipe out, hang dry, wipe again, install. Nothing says classy like a trans pan on the clothes line!! I once washed off a transfer case in the bath tub....back in my early 20's. :D

Lint from towels or paper products can hang a valve in the valve body. Seen it happen more than once after a “trans service”.

Lint from towels or paper products can hang a valve in the valve body. Seen it happen more than once after a “trans service”.

I was trying to remember if it was paper towels or fabric towels that were not to be used due to fibers or threads getting in the works.

Brake cleaner should be fine, a wipe down with IPA should also work if you’re paranoid. As long as you don’t mindlessly hose down plastic and rubber parts with brake clean like some mechanics do…

I was trying to remember if it was paper towels or fabric towels that were not to be used due to fibers or threads getting in the works.
As long as it’s rinsed last and blown dry you’re ok. It’s making the final wipe with either and not rinsing and blowing dry that leaves the lint.

I have used brake cleaner on any pan (oil or transmission), head, valve cover, rear diff, front diff, hands, back...

I just use some lint free stuff to dry it up and then (when I remember) blow it out with air. I have never a had problem.

You have to use some judgement. Make sure it is clean and dry before putting it back together.

I’d just wipe it out with paper towels, it uses a gasket instead of rtf, and it’s going to have dirty and clean transmission fluid in it a few minutes later.
I just ended up wiping it with a blue towel then using brake cleaner and a microfiber towel. Seems fine

Why not just clean it with pure, clean Kerosene? It won't hurt anything, and you can buy it at Lowe's, Home Depot, or Tractor Supply. It will do the job without having any residual negative effects.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Klean-Strip-Kerosene-Heater/1000147019
Can still get it by the gallon from the pump if you have a Co-op location near you. Some random gas stations around here still have a kerosene pump available, even in Metro-Nashville proper (we're practically a full county over to the east, about 40 miles outside the metro area, so more agriculture activities out here).

Can still get it by the gallon from the pump if you have a Co-op location near you. Some random gas stations around here still have a kerosene pump available, even in Metro-Nashville proper (we're practically a full county over to the east, about 40 miles outside the metro area, so more agriculture activities out here).
How nice. I think its like 18 a gallon at all the box stores, the airlines would be crying if it cost them that much.

How nice. I think its like 18 a gallon at all the box stores, the airlines would be crying if it cost them that much.
It is expensive. A lot of it is packaging. (6, 1 gallon jugs to the cardboard box case), and of course shipping. The airport here will pump Jet-A into approved containers.

They'll also pump it directly into the tanks of the turbine powered, offshore race boats. The few that come here are big, and have huge tanks. And I'm sure their fuel economy is anything but economical.

It is expensive. A lot of it is packaging. (6, 1 gallon jugs to the cardboard box case), and of course shipping. The airport here will pump Jet-A into approved containers.

They'll also pump it directly into the tanks of the turbine powered, offshore race boats. The few that come here are big, and have huge tanks. And I'm sure their fuel economy is anything but economical.
What's the saying? "Gotta pay if you wanna play!!!" Lol

Stupid expensive, probably (definitely), yes. But tons of fun, as well, that would be hard to replicate via any other activities than piloting a stupid-fast jet boat!

And re: the cost. It's expensive even from the pump. They value it like gold now, not the trash fuel byproduct it used to be valued as 35 years ago. Last time I was in visual range of a pump, it was $6.99⁹/gal, and that would have been early in the pandemic. It's probably over $8 now, if not more. Glad I don't actually need it for anything currently. It's cheaper to wash parts in gas or diesel (yes, I'm aware gas is extra-dangerous for parts washing. Won't mention that sometimes I smoke while doing so. jk! Haha)

Back