super tech brake parts cleaner worthless?

Used this stuff to clean my rear differential and it didn't do anything literally. I ended wiping it off with a paper towel. Then today decided to give it another shot and see if it could clean an oily funny. Nothing...... Didn't remove a drop. I forgot the only brake cleaner that's good are the red cans. Waste of money..... These are getting returned. Was just trying to clean a funnel to not contaminated my used coolant with oil since I finally found that advanced auto takes it. Hopefully they don't mind a little bit of oil floating at the top now.

Can’t say I’ve used their brake parts cleaner. But the super tech carb cleaner seems to be great.

I used it earlier this summer and it did what it was supposed to do. Possible you got a dud?
idk. I bought like 4 cans not long ago. pretty sure I used the whole can on the diff cover, so this second can is also a dud.

I blow through multiple cans a month cleaning tractor grease fittings and other projects, it doesnt exactly clean without wiping help but it works good for me.

Reactions: wlk
I used to buy supertech but found that you can order brake clean from rockauto. Permatex high voc the additional shipping isn't bad.

Most brake parts cleaner is worthless anymore. I really liked 3m 08180 but I cant get it locally anymore. We were getting tec a brake for a while which wasnt bad, dont like most of the parts store parts cleaners.

I blow through multiple cans a month cleaning tractor grease fittings and other projects, it doesnt exactly clean without wiping help but it works good for me.

I've used the red crc brake cleaner cans and never wiped it off. It's supposed to clean and then evaporate quickly. That's the whole purpose of brake cleaner/carb cleaner. If I have to wipe it down I might as well bring out some dawn dish soap, then stick it in the dishwasher.

I just used some today. It doesn't sting like it used to when you get it on your skin, I noticed. Probably better for your liver but it doesn't cut the crud like before.

I've used the red crc brake cleaner cans and never wiped it off. It's supposed to clean and then evaporate quickly. That's the whole purpose of brake cleaner/carb cleaner. If I have to wipe it down I might as well bring out some dawn dish soap, then stick it in the dishwasher.
Except you are not cleaning brake parts, I never had that expectation myself on non brake parts. I have tried full blasting at short range, that works but it’s also wasteful.

idk. I bought like 4 cans not long ago. pretty sure I used the whole can on the diff cover, so this second can is also a dud.

I have a new can (purchased summer 2023) that I will be needed for a brake job soon. I hope it's not a dud!

It depends on your state & locality's air quality regulations, but if you are able to choose between the chlorinated vs. the non-chlorinated versions of brake cleaner, the chlorinated version is more effective at de-greasing parts due to higher amounts of VOC solvents. Most brake part cleaner sprays, including the CRC Brakleen and SuperTech brand, come in both versions, but the chlorinated version is not available in certain locales.

Chlorinated vs. Non-Chlorinated
1706786060409.jpg
1706786130747.jpg
1706786226911.jpg
1706786275062.jpg

Chlorinated/Non-Chlorinated Explained

Last edited:
I have used the low VOC supertech stuff, and it does work on brake parts - aka it blows brake dust off perfectly and dries without any residue.

I am not at all surprised it doesn't take grease off an old diff. That is not its job, although the old stuff would have done it as well.

I have also used there cheap foaming engine degreaser, and it works just as well as the name brand stuff, and that likely would work on your diff grease as well.

Used this stuff to clean my rear differential and it didn't do anything literally. I ended wiping it off with a paper towel. Then today decided to give it another shot and see if it could clean an oily funny. Nothing...... Didn't remove a drop. I forgot the only brake cleaner that's good are the red cans. Waste of money..... These are getting returned. Was just trying to clean a funnel to not contaminated my used coolant with oil since I finally found that advanced auto takes it. Hopefully they don't mind a little bit of oil floating at the top now.
Use this stuff all the time and it DOES work.....

Can’t say I’ve used their brake parts cleaner. But the super tech carb cleaner seems to be great.
i have had great success with supertech carb cleaner, doing parkerizing and cold bluing

Back