QState UD or Pennz Platinum 0W 20 and OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would 5w30 do to that 2013 honda??? Probably make it run a little quieter although im not sure about the warranty and lately we see a lot of Honda engines comng into the shop.

Whichever is cheaper. Last month it was the QSUD at AAP where you got 5 qts oil + filter for $20....and a $10 mfg rebate to net it out at $10.

Either would be fine and drains should be done as required by the MM, an IOLM that accounts for differences in operating conditions.
Honda has generally never required anything beyond the basic current API spec in oils for its engines, so I wouldn't be too concerned about which of the two to use.
The most recent PQIA VOA of the pair, in the 5W-30 grade IIRC, suggests that they may be the same oil anyway.
The Fram you propose to use should also be fine, although I'd probably replace it with every drain rather than running it 2X.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
What would 5w30 do to that 2013 honda??? Probably make it run a little quieter although im not sure about the warranty and lately we see a lot of Honda engines comng into the shop.

Are you a Honda mechanic? What issues are they having? My 2002 Civic needed two cam shafts at 80k. Makes me think the "reliability" is overblown. Hondas have also been known to have tranny issues with automatics over the years. I'm slowly looking at new cars as mine is almost 15, but runs well, and I'm not sure I want another Honda with the cam issue, seat belt buckle issue, door lock issue, radio issue, etc.

Both oils are fine. Get the cheaper one. Any name brand Syn is fine for your maintenance minder interval. Some would say to trade the Extra Guard in and upgrade. Do as you please with the filter, but I wouldn't worry running that filter for an oil change. But for a couple bucks you can "upgrade" and sleep without BITOG nightmares.

I'd vote for them being nearly the same oil as well. If there is a difference, your car won't know it. Buy them both for $2.00-$2.50 qt each year with the annual sales and rebates. Why buy 1 cheap when you can get both of them cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back