Is there value going from Mobil 1 syn to Extended?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was shopping for synthetic over the weekend, and saw the "Extended" syn. was just 75 cents higher than regular Mobil 1. (this stuff is approaching 10 bucks a quart!!)

The "stars" on the bottle says it can handle heat better, and it is guaranteed for 15k miles.

Winter is coming up, so I will not be seeing any excessive heat. I only run syn in winter.

I drive a 1.6L 4 cylinder Nissan Note with 40k miles. planning 7.5K-8k oil changes with 15k-16k filter(Napa Gold) changes. Engine has trouble staying hot in winter.

Last edited:
Usually when a motor cant stay hot in the winter the thermostat is stuck open, doesn't matter what oil you are running, the thermostats job is to maintain a minimum water coolant temperature. It blocks flow until that temp is reached

I drive a 1.6L 4 cylinder Nissan Note with 40k miles. planning 7.5K-8k oil changes with 15k-16k filter(Napa Gold) changes. Engine has trouble staying hot in winter. [/quote]

Last edited:
I went from 7500 oci on M1 0w20 AFE to 10,000 mile oci on M1 0w20 EP. Probably could have gone longer with the EP than I did.

Use regular Mobil 1 for under 10,000 miles. Use Extended Performance over 10,000. That's always been my understanding.

FYI, Mobil 1 is $24.97/5qt & $7.94 for individual quarts at Walmart.

I would use regular M1 in your case, but if the EP is barely any more money (75 cents) then I guess I'd buy it instead.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Any oil will do but why not change the filter every time? There are cheap filters there that are good.

http://www.austincc.edu/wkibbe/oilfilterstudy.htm

More stars for high-temperature protection means higher-quality base oil (more PAO). So, it means better oil overall, given that the additive packages are similar.

That study is so old I wouldn't trust half of what's posted..

I believe the original 5w20 from the 70s is the EP now. In the 90s they started putting group 3 and the products got biforked and renamed, original (With PAO) named for EP and group III named just M1 (Or the regular), for the less (or none) PAO.

Originally Posted By: Tones
IMO, save the money, buy the M1 classic formula, and a new thermostat.

+1

Originally Posted By: Pontual
I believe the original 5w20 from the 70s is the EP now. In the 90s they started putting group 3 and the products got biforked and renamed, original (With PAO) named for EP and group III named just M1 (Or the regular), for the less (or none) PAO.

Everything in your post is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back