Top Fuel power test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Exhaustgases
And if all that torque was used the thing would blow up. So they are lucky for all the losses, and that some of that stress is lost in tire slippage and a light weight vehicle. The size of parts used likely could not sustain the stress if all that power was put to the road and had to move some major weight. Yes there is tractor pulling, but the wheels are not locked to the ground.

They do occasionally blow up.

But the peak torque figure measured in the driveline on any pass occurs when the clutch is 1:1, and the tires are gripping the track. At that point, every bit of that torque is being used. Additionally, the Dragster effectively weighs far more when it's traveling at 330+mph, due to the downforce generated by the wings, and the exhaust itself, than it does when weighed statically on a scale.

It is very hard on parts. That's why the engine is rebuilt and the clutch replaced after every pass. Everything else is also on a strict inspection and replacement schedule.

did not Austin Coil (when he worked for John Force Racing) invent a dyno that actually could handle their tf/f motors and not only that, but was awarded a patent for it?

so i am quite sure, they know how much power they have. or even better how it goes through the clutch.

02SE, i really enjoy what you can write. i wish you were able to remove it from the cheek, but completely understand.

I envisioned some type of torque deflection coupling. Helicopters and who knows what else have been using these for quite a few years. My experience with them was on the GE T700 engines on the Apache helicopter. Torque sharing system for two engines liked to one rotor head.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
did not Austin Coil (when he worked for John Force Racing) invent a dyno that actually could handle their tf/f motors and not only that, but was awarded a patent for it?

so i am quite sure, they know how much power they have. or even better how it goes through the clutch.

02SE, i really enjoy what you can write. i wish you were able to remove it from the cheek, but completely understand.

Austin is definitely one of the true innovators in the sport. I don't want to talk for him or drop names, so I'll just post this recently published article about him.

Hot Rod Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back