Subaru Super Coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just took delivery of a '16 Outback and reading thru the owner's manual, the factory fill coolant is "Subaru Super Coolant" with a service life of 10 years or 137K miles... WOW! Also, freeze protection to -67 degrees F. The service life and freeze protection point are much different than any EG coolant I have seen. Does anyone have any familiarity with the Subaru Super Coolant? What makes it different?

Also, the manual specs 0-20 engine oil. What experience has anyone had with the Subies and 0-20 oil? Brand preferences and why?

Mike

I owned an 07' WRX I bought new and sold with 136K on it. I had to add a little coolant in the overflow reservoir only once while owning it, oddly when the car was still rather new in it's life. Subaru said to change the coolant at 30K, and I switched it to Peak Global Lifetime and never added a drop or touched it again.
My WRX was modded with a few pounds more boost from the turbo. I used Valvoline Synpower synthetic 5W30 most of it's life with never an issue. Non turbo Subarus could care less what oil you use. The most important thing you can do is retain all receipts and keep good records if you do your own maintenance. Mark the mileage, date and vin number on the receipts.

My wife has a '09 Forester built in 2008. I think that was the year Subaru started to spec its "Subaru Super Coolant". It is blue colored and maybe a little pricey but I wouldn't put anything but that in her car. They say it's good for 10 years. It seems that's the direction the industry is moving. My '13 Ram also was factory filled with a purple colored super long life coolant. JMHO - sticking with the manufacturers recommended coolant may be more economical in the long run. All of those expensive aluminum parts and fancy layered head gaskets...

Congrats on the new Outback! They are the Cadillac of the Subaru line for sure. I've got a 2016 Forester 2.5i CVT.

I'm on my third late model Subaru and I haven't heard much talk about the Subaru Super Coolant or Subaru branded 0w20. I'm not sure I even noticed the coolant was blue!

I ran Napa synthetic 0w20 and 5w20 in my 2014 XV Crosstrek 5spd. Not sure what I'll use in the new Forester yet. Only at 2000mi. I do have some left over blue Subaru oil filters I will use on it.

Originally Posted By: 63CadillacBill
My wife has a '09 Forester built in 2008. I think that was the year Subaru started to spec its "Subaru Super Coolant". It is blue colored and maybe a little pricey but I wouldn't put anything but that in her car. They say it's good for 10 years. It seems that's the direction the industry is moving. My '13 Ram also was factory filled with a purple colored super long life coolant. JMHO - sticking with the manufacturers recommended coolant may be more economical in the long run. All of those expensive aluminum parts and fancy layered head gaskets...

Yeah, I'm going to stick with what Subaru specs, but I was just curious if anyone knew what made the Subaru coolant different. Virtually every EG coolant that I have run across has a -34F freeze point when diluted 50-50, the Sub coolant is much lower and the ten year life is astounding to an old [censored] who grew up with coolant flushes every other year with the green stuff.

Mike

Originally Posted By: Mike Simmons
Also, freeze protection to -67 degrees F. The service life and freeze protection point are much different than any EG coolant I have seen. Does anyone have any familiarity with the Subaru Super Coolant? What makes it different?

The service life is because of adopting the PHOAT chemistry that Toyota started using in 2004. Subaru has been using it a while I think.

The freeze point is because they are mixing it 60/40 instead of 50/50. Which IMO is smart and why I buy concentrated Toyota "red" or Pentofrost A1 and mix it to that instead of using the 50/50 pre-mix. If you look at this eutectic graph of various mixes, you can see how much more protection that extra 10% of coolant buys you, which is well worth it to me if you live along the norther tier of the us where -30F is winter low.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/overheating-due-to-100-antifreeze_topic32939_page2.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back