What size air compressor to fluid film?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buck91
I've actually been using a HPLV airless sprayer from HF to do my vehicles. Works reasonably well as long as you don't over work the compressor (short bursts). I cut with a small amount of veggie oil and found that putting the can in front of a propane heater vastly improves the sprayability.

http://www.harborfreight.com/airless-paint-sprayer-kit-60600.html

That could work as long as the machine is already there. A compressor is more useful, though.

8 gallon Husky air compressor and a fluid film sprayer turned out to work okay when I sprayed my Trailblazer last week. The air compressor did run much of the time but was able to give me consistently enough PSI to spray. More than one vehicle or more than the occasional use, a compressor much larger than 8 gallons would be needed.

Instead of starting a new thread I'll bring it up here since a lot of you have had experience using pneumatic sprayer for FF.

I currently have the Harborfreight airless paint sprayer which I use for FF. Works fine during warm weather, especially with a bit of veggie oil to thin the FF. Would like to get away from needing the aerosol cans for recessed areas though. I see a lot of lower cost undercoating guns available compared to almost $100 for the fluid film gun. Does the fluid film gun offer any significant benefits? Also, are there wands available, like is there a standard tip threading so they can interechange? Or is it more brand specific?

The gun used for this is not a finicky about atomization as paint gun but it will still need about 6-8 cfm. A 20 gallon 1 true HP should get you by taking small breaks in the spraying which you will anyway.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Instead of starting a new thread I'll bring it up here since a lot of you have had experience using pneumatic sprayer for FF.

I currently have the Harborfreight airless paint sprayer which I use for FF. Works fine during warm weather, especially with a bit of veggie oil to thin the FF. Would like to get away from needing the aerosol cans for recessed areas though. I see a lot of lower cost undercoating guns available compared to almost $100 for the fluid film gun. Does the fluid film gun offer any significant benefits? Also, are there wands available, like is there a standard tip threading so they can interechange? Or is it more brand specific?

I broke down and bought the FF pro gun and assorted wands. The nice thing about the FF pro gun is the adjustable tip on the gun and on the wands. The flexible wand for the FF gun is quite handy for getting into areas that the regular gun can't. Examples would be small crevices and into doors. I also purchased the 360* wand. I'm not as thrilled with that. It needs a lot of time and patience to apply the FF. Overall, the pro gun is a nice piece of kit. I purchased it in a bundle with a 5-gallon pail of FF for about $230 shipped. On its own, I'm not sure I would have purchased the FF pro gun and wands at full retail. At a discount, yes, it's nice to have a tool that just works out of the box.

Oh, get a swivel fitting to put between the connector on whatever gun you get and the air hose. That will open up a lot more areas to be sprayed without changing tips or resorting to rattle cans.

Originally Posted By: Trav
The gun used for this is not a finicky about atomization as paint gun but it will still need about 6-8 cfm. A 20 gallon 1 true HP should get you by taking small breaks in the spraying which you will anyway.

IMO the true HP part is key.

You can buy a bigger tank, but it's worthless if the actual free air from the compressor can't keep up. It just means a longer time before the compressor has to start again, which doesn't help if the compressor itself can't hardly produce enough to make headway filling the tank.

Plus p,mcompressors have an intended duty cycle of less than 100%.

A bigger piston and electric load really is the key.

I do wish they made a gas powered one that was a little smaller... IMO for spraying rustproofing that type might be ideal.

This is a 1HP motor. You wont find something this powerful on most low cost oil free compressors that may be rated at 2 HP and more.
Craftsman was guilty of these shenanigans for a long time with 3.5 HP oil free 20 gallon compressor that ran on 110-120v, its impossible.

1 HP motor

Originally Posted By: Trav
This is a 1HP motor. You wont find something this powerful on most low cost oil free compressors that may be rated at 2 HP and more.
Craftsman was guilty of these shenanigans for a long time with 3.5 HP oil free 20 gallon compressor that ran on 110-120v, its impossible.

1 HP motor

Seems expensive for a 1 HP motor.

That's not bad for a brand name compressor duty motor. 2 and 3 HP motors don't cost much more. 5 HP and up can get real pricey but so do the 2 stage pumps.

Go for a 5 HP, 2 stage with a 60 gal tank. One things for sure if you get one like this you will not say I wish I had bought a larger compressor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back