Mobil1 0W30 X1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
Anyone bought this oil? Does it says it meets BMW LL-04 on the back?
I was researching and in Europe it meets LL-04 specification, but it seems for the U.S. market it is only MB229.52. Now, I know it would not be a problem using this oil in 35d, but I am still under warranty so do not want to risk that.

It's odd. Mobil's official page does not list LL-04 approval for this oil, but the label on the bottle does...

This image was posted on a US forum, so presumably it was purchased in the US, but can't be sure.
125807d1416171925-mobil-1-esp-formula-m-5w40-discontinued-mobil-1-esp-0w30.jpg

Also, here's an image from a US-based online retailer...

m1_esp_0w-30_1qt_back_03-06-14.png

Interesting. 0W30 would be good in winter months, and then during summer switch to 5W30.
But yes, on M1 web page it only lists MB specs. That is why i asked, since I saw in EU it meets LL-04.

Quattro Pete, those are Canadian bottles. Aside from the French, note on the bottom the mention of Imperial Oil. Of course, it's almost certainly the same product in both countries, but that's definitely one of our bottles.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: BobFout
The oil you found is probably just ESP 0w30, not ESP X1 0w30.

It is X1.

I see that now, thank you.

Too bad it doesn't have any VAG specs. There's only one or two 0w30s that I know of that are 504.00/507.00.

It is X1.

Too bad it doesn't have any VAG specs. There's only one or two 0w30s that I know of that are 504.00/507.00.

In EU sheet it states that Sulfated Ash is 0.8. I think VW 504.00/507.00 require .06 or less.

It is X1.

In EU sheet it states that Sulfated Ash is 0.8. I think VW 504.00/507.00 require .06 or less.

It just happens that Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 has 0.6% and they are one of the most popular who publish that data point.

• LM TopTec 4200 5w30 data sheet shows 0.7%
  • Castrol Edge shows 0.64%
  • Pentrite ENVIRO+ 5W-30 shows 0.7%
  • Pro-Advance VW 5W-30 FS LS LL shows 0.6%
  • Lubrita Ultra Low SAPS DPF SAE 5W-30 shows 0.6%
  • MOTUL 8100 X-clean+ 5W-30 shows 0.61%
  • Comma Prolife 5W-30 shows 0.8%
  • SAR Lurbicant SYNMAX ULTRA VW 5w-30 shows 0.6%
  • Havoline Ultra V SAE 5W-30 shows 0.7%

There only a handful of approved additive packages, so they get used by multiple blenders.

Then it is 0.8 limit for VW 504.00/507.00 and 1. for VW 505.01.
I used 5W30 ESP several times in gassers, great oil but cannot retain TBN long enough in gas DI engines to make sense paying premium price.
However, I think I will switch to 5W30 ESP since it has low SA content which would be beneficial to DPF. LL-04 is Mid-SAPS spec, so I believe OEM BMW oil (Shell) is probably Mid-SAPS.

Last edited:
Our 2.1L Turbo Diesel Mercedes calls for this oil and it is on its second fill. At 25k, I did pour this oil into my Ram EcoDiesel. Last year we had three mornings that were under -20F and the truck struggled, so I wanted a 0w, rather than a 5w for this winter. Yes, I know that it is probably a little higher ash than is spec'd for the EcoDiesel, but I really don't care.

I don't really have any comments about the oil....other than the fact that the engines haven't seized up.

It says on the bottle it is good for diesels. What is the difference between this and a HDEO. I learn a lot from you. Thanks Garak

Well, the Delvac Elite 222 0w-30 is a CJ-4/SM lube, which means it will work for a North American diesel where the viscosity is appropriate, such as a Powerstroke, a Cummins, Duramax, all the way down to the old 6.2 engines, the older Mercedes engines calling for API stuff, and so forth. On the other hand, the Mobil 1 0w-30 X1 is geared for European diesels, with newer Mercedes specifications in specific, if I recall correctly. The Delvac Elite 222 0w-30 doesn't mean any ACEA specifications, but would be close to an E7, E9 type lubricant, whereas the Mobil 1 0w-30 X1 would be a C spec.

I was going to link you directly to the data sheets, but the Canadian Mobil site is currently having a tantrum of some sort.

Thank you. Not sure I understand all the technical talk, but if I understand, you are saying, 222 is for big trucks and X1 is for new diesel cars. I run 222 in both cars and it has been doing great, especially for the price.

You have it pretty much exactly. The X1 is for all the emissions stuff in the newer diesel cars, whereas the 222 is the heavy duty diesel oil. North American diesel engines have traditionally used what the Europeans would call an ACEA E spec lube, rather than an ACEA B or C spec lube, to show another difference, I guess, at least as far back as the ACEA tradition goes, until now, when things are getting a little more complex with the Fiat-Chrysler relationship.

222 is a good lube, and I'd use it in my G37 without hesitation. Now that the Mobil site isn't having a tantrum, I can tell you that the X1 only shows ACEA C2, C3 and MB 229.31, 229.51, and 229.52, which makes it a bit of a niche lubricant. So, they're not even looking for a basic SN rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back