0w30 or 5w30 for a 2018 BMW X1

The vehicle is going to see Canadian winter temperatures, so 0W would be a better choice than 5W.

My oil filter of choice for the best filter is a Frame Ultra. And Walmart has the lowest price for those.

Remember the best filter for your oil is your engine air intake filter. Project form YouTube videos do a good comparison of different brands to show which ones are the best.

OP, do you have one of the new type of battery cold cranking amp testers that do a really decent job of letting you know what the state of your battery is? If it's the wife's vehicle the last thing you want is to get her mad because the vehicle died on her on a cold day. These new battery checkers that really aren't that expensive do a really nice job of letting you know if a battery has declined to the point where it should be preemptively replaced. Amazon sells those. Or if you don't want to buy one you could at least take the vehicle to some of the auto parts brick stores that will check a battery for free to see what the state of decline of the battery is on a regular basis. Especially if the battery is approaching or has exceeded the warranty period that it came with. And I hope that living in Canada you know that for cold weather reliability you always want the battery with the highest cold cranking amps you can get that will fit in the vehicle.
Forget FRAM in BMW. OE, MANN, Mahle or Hengst! FRAM in many instances doesn’t fit properly on oil filter cage (K&N same). That can lead to inappropriate VANOS operation, whatever any farm project is saying.

That is YouTube project farm engine air intake filter.

While the Wix engine air filter perform very well, Wix has a history farming out production of what they sell from other companies. So that makes me think that they might not be consistent in their quality. Where the Purolator one is made by Purolator and would be much more likely to be consistently good.
Wix came under the umbrella of Mann Hummel Filtration Technologies in 2016 and now share a huge manufacturing facility here in the Carolinas. Wix started in North Carolina and I toured the Gastonia facility some years ago and they are top notch products. I think with the Mann Hummel envelopment of the company, there is little to worry about with any Wix filter.

Oh, and guess who else is now under the Mann Hummel Filtration Technologies hand? Yep, Purolator ;).

Forget FRAM in BMW. OE, MANN, Mahle or Hengst! FRAM in many instances doesn’t fit properly on oil filter cage (K&N same). That can lead to inappropriate VANOS operation, whatever any farm project is saying.
Agreed! There are multiple threads on bimmerfest in the E39 section of the o-ring used with the Fram filter being out of spec (too thin) and thus it leaked and made a mess in the engine compartment. Always from a newbie asking what they are doing wrong. We always replied to get the filter from BMW dealer, and in the alternative a Mann, Mahle or Hengst. No exceptions. Saw the posts for over a decade...not recently...maybe they (finally) fixed the problem.

Agreed! There are multiple threads on bimmerfest in the E39 section of the o-ring used with the Fram filter being out of spec (too thin) and thus it leaked and made a mess in the engine compartment. Always from a newbie asking what they are doing wrong. We always replied to get the filter from BMW dealer, and in the alternative a Mann, Mahle or Hengst. No exceptions. Saw the posts for over a decade...not recently...maybe they (finally) fixed the problem.
Last time I checked o ring was a ok, but filter is too loose one the cage.
K&N is same.

is this generally accurate, for a ranking of oil brands:

mobil 1 FS > Castrol edge Euro > Pennzoil Euro L

?

How would you rank them, by which metric? Or are you talking about brand preference and anecdotal ranking? How do you determine "the best"?

?
The answer is, no one knows because no one knows by how much any specific oil outperforms the test minimums in any given standard. Also, Euro L is mid SAPS while the other 2 mentioned are full SAPS. In reality all “top tier” brands are probably comparable when looking at oils that meet applicable standards. The most you’ll get here is an attempt to interpret datasheets and VOA to make a guess as to which would perform “better”. Without actual wear test results (not UOA), it is mostly a guessing game.

The Euro shop I went to last year uses German Rowe oil. I had them put in 0W20 which has the
BMW LL-17 approval. This summer, I'll have them put in 0W30 BMW LL-12 or 0W30 BMW LL-04.
Have you found any brands that have an LL12 in 0w30 yet?

Have you found any brands that have an LL12 in 0w30 yet?
I think Rowe has a 0w30 that meets the LL-12. The other 0w30 meets LL-04. I'll find out next oil change.
I think the LL-12 is the mid sap
recommended for the new B series engines along with the 0w20 LL-17.

some useful info:

Is PP Euro LX 0w30 is still the same as Shell Helix Ultra ECT? Helluva deal when it's on sale at CT at the same time as the $10/5L mail in rebate.

Back