Gonna Take One For The Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a Purolator Classic L24651 for my Fusion tonight. Manufacturered August 2015.

I can't seem to find any newer built Puros cut open to see if they tear or not, only older Puros. Does anybody have any?

This Purolator will go on my Fusion with MaxLife Blend in 1,800 miles, should be a couple months. I plan to run it for 4,000 miles. I'm cutting my OCI a little short to align my oil changes & Tire rotations together, easier to remember that way.

Fingers crossed that it won't tear, but I'll see when I cut it open at the end of the run. Like I said, I'm taking one for the team... Haha

There were only 3 reported that tore that we know of (2 had 4K miles on them). Not all will tear ... so if it does you have bad luck.
wink.gif
If it doesn't tear, that doesn't mean the issue is necessarily fixed. Seeing photos of it after it's been used might help see if the pleat spacing is better now with new stock than it was in the past.

Tear Report

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
There were only 3 reported that tore that we know of (2 had 4K miles on them). Not all will tear ... so if it does you have bad luck.
wink.gif
If it doesn't tear, that doesn't mean the issue is necessarily fixed. Seeing photos of it after it's been used might help see if the pleat spacing is better now with new stock than it was in the past.

Tear Report

Thanks for the tear report spreadsheet. Looks like most of those tears were older filters except for a few 2014s. I have an FL-820S on the '12 F-250 I'm running for 7,500. Plan to check it for tears as well, though it seems the Motorcrafts rarely tear.

I had a few PL24651s that I ran on my truck, they all looked pretty good after ~5000 miles. I've since gone back to the FL-820S though.

^^^ That spreadsheet stopped being updated a long time ago (probably missing ~20-25 more reported tears), so hard to tell if newer ones were on the same tearing spree or not. And most likely many here stopped using Purolators so the number of Purolators being cut open for inspection probably went down in the last year.

^^^ That spreadsheet stopped being updated a long time ago (probably missing ~20-25 more reported tears), so hard to tell if newer ones were on the same tearing spree or not. And most likely many here stopped using Purolators so the number of Purolators being cut open for inspection probably went down in the last year.

20 or so imaginary tears of filters which exist only in your mind.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

The torn puro won't filter out the sand his head is stuck in.

If your coffee filter was weak and tore so your coffee pot was full of coffee grounds, and you read 25 other people have had the same problem, showing pictures, would you switch coffee filter brands? It will probably be OK, you are probably not in the % group with tears, probably not. I wonder if that's about the last of the production.

FWIW I pretty much exclusively use ACDelco filters made in the USA. Works for me although there are probably better filters out there. I have seen some PF457G filters made elsewhere, but the ones I get in individual boxes at Advance Auto are made in USA.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
FWIW I pretty much exclusively use ACDelco filters made in the USA. Works for me although there are probably better filters out there. I have seen some PF457G filters made elsewhere, but the ones I get in individual boxes at Advance Auto are made in USA.

Yes, they are made by Champ/Fram.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

The torn puro won't filter out the sand his head is stuck in.

It's pretty easy to see which guys here really have their head in the sand around here - LoL.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
If your coffee filter was weak and tore so your coffee pot was full of coffee grounds, and you read 25 other people have had the same problem, showing pictures, would you switch coffee filter brands? It will probably be OK, you are probably not in the % group with tears, probably not. I wonder if that's about the last of the production.

Bad analogy.

The water drains through the coffee filter essentially by gravity or under only slight pressure, say 0.20' of head.

Oil pumps through your oil filter media at much higher pressure.

So if the coffee cycled back through the filter over and over again under pressure, there would be no grounds in you coffee.

All grounds would be trapped in the remaining, intact filter media.

And that's why there are no damaged engines from the Purolator "tear problem."

Bad analogy, as the coffee wouldn't have to re-filter under pressure ... just re-filter, and 0.2 ft head is way too high.
wink.gif
But the sad thing would be if the coffee maker was sensitive and become damaged by those re-cycling grounds. No different than an engine re-cycling potentially damaging particles that slipped through a torn oil filter.

You heard it folks ... tearing oil filters aren't a problem at all. Better go buy a bunch!
crackmeup2.gif

This coffee filter analogy is still missing the point. If I consistently saw grounds in my coffee cup, and each time I did, I found a torn filter in the coffee machine, I'd be looking for a new brand of filters. Sure, drinking the coffee grounds might not hurt me, but I certainly would prefer not to be drinking them.

Bad analogy, as the coffee wouldn't have to re-filter under pressure ... just re-filter, and 0.2 ft head is way too high.
wink.gif
But the sad thing would be if the coffee maker was sensitive and become damaged by those re-cycling grounds. No different than an engine re-cycling potentially damaging particles that slipped through a torn oil filter.

You heard it folks ... tearing oil filters aren't a problem at all. Better go buy a bunch!
crackmeup2.gif

I call [censored] on that analysis.

The pressure in an automotive oil system results in embedded particles, not particles just flowing around in the bottom of a coffee filter. Big difference.

The coffee grounds are of a significant magnitude greater than the contaminants filtered from your engine oil. Again, they are more likely to sit upon the finer, cellulose coffee filtration media.

My coffee maker has about 2 - 2.25" of water standing over the filter media when it's working.

I'll help you do the calculation there, 2.25"/12"/' = 0.19' of head. Like I said, 0.2'.

I guess your degree in arm chair engineering isn't worth the paper it's written on.

And your theory on damaged engines due to Purolator tears remains completely unproven too.

I'd recommend you stick with the emoticons and hyperbole. That's your strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back