What makes Motorcraft and Kendall oils so great?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
Interesting. What role does friction modification play, and how important is it compared to other factors like HTHS, flash point, film strength, detergency, etc?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ddit#Post729029

The main reason for Friction Modification additives is to reduce friction which in turn increases mpg.

Those other items are totally separate topics.

Thanks for the link, MolaKule, and for taking the time to explain it. This is just the kind of info I was hoping for!

Originally Posted By: meborder
Why do I like Trop-Artic?
$1.99/qt
Great UOA's and good TBN retention with respectable OCI's

Click here

What's not to like?

X2.

I have been using Trop Artic for a few years in a couple of our older cars ever since we got an Orschelns. But it is not just "beater oil", I have run it in the Jeep and consider it one of the best oils in it's segment.

It is unbelievable how quiet the old Lumina runs on it when it's warmed up.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: Claud
I think one thing all mega mile engines have in common is oil changes before they are needed using good quality oil. Whatever the OCI mileage is, it is before the old oil has started to break down to the point of not giving top notch wear protection.
I dare say there are fans of all reputable brand oils who swear that their favorite oil is behind the engines longevity, when it is really due to diligent maintenance.

Claud.

Probably the main factor in reaching high mileage with any engine is intensive use.
This is why taxis and cop cars can achieve such high mileage.
I don't think that drain intervals matter as much as regular use.
Here's a thought experiment:
My mother has an '03 Accord K24, bought new.
The car has done all of 81K over the intervening years and has had regular oil changes every six months from new using whatever the selling dealer.
Do you really think that this engine could reach its 250K potential were someone to start using it on their hundred mile commute today?
I've seen engines not noted for their longevity reach heroic mileages when subjected to intensive use.
It ain't the OCIs that determine engine life, its the basic design as well as the way in which an engine is used.
Just my two cents.

To reach mega miles a vehicle must be driven large distances frequently. Constant running at design operating temperature is surely a good way to minimise wear. So Police cars, Taxi's and long haul big rigs would all fit this category. No surprise, they often rack many miles of fault free running.
I dare say if you were to start using your mothers Accord just for cruising the interstate at the posted limit it would wear much more slowly during its next 81k miles.
Oil changes before its lubricating qualities deteriorate, whether the car is a local shopping trolley or used exclusively for long distance open road driving will help the engines longevity, maybe not the only factor, but an important one.

Claud.

There is one Motor Craft oil that is exceptional. It was developed for the GT500 - 5W-50 rates highly in EP and AW testing. I don't know of many oils that out rank it. It's like $15/qt if you can find it ...

But the run of the mill MC oil is just that - good enough to get the job done for average street cars and trucks
smile.gif

Have no experience with Kendall oils ...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
There is one Motor Craft oil that is exceptional. It was developed for the GT500 - 5W-50 rates highly in EP and AW testing. I don't know of many oils that out rank it. It's like $15/qt if you can find it ...

But the run of the mill MC oil is just that - good enough to get the job done for average street cars and trucks
smile.gif

Have no experience with Kendall oils ...

The 5w-50 isn't anything special. It shears to a 40w very quickly.

The Phillips line of synblends is the entry level PCMO in their lineup.

They are the entry level equivalent to PYB, QSAD, FS, VWB, and ect.

I think their lubes have a very good friction modification system.

Titanium makes Kendall somewhat unique, and its an Anti-Wear AW additive, not a Friction Modifier FM. Are you referring to something else in it? Compared to Pennz Plat:
3adTalm.jpg

(The 93 is ppm Ti, and the 253 is ppm Boron, while the 81 is ppm Moly)
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

Also see http://www.google.com/patents/US7767632 for Ti as an AW

Castrol Edge also has Ti but not in very high amounts at all. In fact the patent mentions 50 ppm as the minimum concentration, yet Castrol is down to something like 10 ppm, and Kendall is around 90 ppm.

Last edited:
Quote:
Titanium makes Kendall somewhat unique, and its an Anti-Wear AW additive, not a Friction Modifier FM. Are you referring to something else in it?

Heck yes I was referring to something else. How you came to that conclusion is beyond me.

I never stated anything about Titanium as being a friction modifier.

I stated that these Conoco lubes have a good friction modification system.

The organo-Titanium complex also acts as an anti-oxidant agent.

Last edited:
Molakule, you still haven't said what you're referring to.
As with many of your posts, you're vague after profound statements.
Again, for clarity, what specifically in Kendall is great on friction that other oils don't have as well?

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Molakule, you still haven't said what you're referring to.
As with many of your posts, you're vague after profound statements.
Again, for clarity, what specifically in Kendall is great on friction that other oils don't have as well?

What profound statements did he make? That they have a good friction modification system? I don't see how that is profound?

And to for your question, would the answer be the titanium additive?

Originally Posted By: Lubri
...Molakule, you still haven't said what you're referring to.

Here is a short lesson in Logic and Language.

The title of the OP's thread was:

Quote:
What makes Motorcraft and Kendall oils so great?

My response was:

Quote:
I think their lubes have a very good friction modification system.

The subject matter was MC and Kendall oils, in the form of a question.

I responded in the form of an answer why I thought this was so.

Apparently, this did not escape anyone but you, because you made a wild and unsubstantiated assumption not supported by this simple Q & A.

Now, is that clear?

Last edited:
Later on, shiny said that was the KIND of answer he was looking for:

Originally Posted By: shiny
Quote:
Interesting. What role does friction modification play, and how important is it compared to other factors like HTHS, flash point, film strength, detergency, etc?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ddit#Post729029

The main reason for Friction Modification additives is to reduce friction which in turn increases mpg.

Those other items are totally separate topics.

Thanks for the link, MolaKule, and for taking the time to explain it. This is just the kind of info I was hoping for!

Originally Posted By: car51
MolaKule: don't worry about me Lubri whatever he is. Also, thank you for the info also
smile.gif

Thanks car51.

I just wish people would read the questions and responses thoroughly before making assumptions.

When a new poster comes to BITOG you cannot assume he has a Bachelor's or MS in chemistry or tribology.

Last edited:
MolaKule: I've been noticing that some of this new "batch" if know it all members don't know jack. I have used UNION 76, Kendall semi syn and some QSGB for ears in my fleet without issues. Bottom line folks: don't worry about Conocco Phillips lubes; they are good.

End of B.s. And discussion

Today,I drained the factory fill in my Impreza and filled it up with Kendall 0w20. I purchased 24 quarts for 99 dollars including shipping from PSC after 10% coupon.

I believe it uses a group III base that is manufactured in Korea by S-oil. Is there any quantifiable difference in group III base oils made by Shell, XOM,or the Korean producers?

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: meborder
Why do I like Trop-Artic?
$1.99/qt
Great UOA's and good TBN retention with respectable OCI's

Click here

What's not to like?

X2.

I have been using Trop Artic for a few years in a couple of our older cars ever since we got an Orschelns. But it is not just "beater oil", I have run it in the Jeep and consider it one of the best oils in it's segment.

It is unbelievable how quiet the old Lumina runs on it when it's warmed up.

X3. Probably the best "sleeper" oil and for the price it is hard to beat.

Originally Posted By: Joe1
Today,I drained the factory fill in my Impreza and filled it up with Kendall 0w20. I purchased 24 quarts for 99 dollars including shipping from PSC after 10% coupon.

I believe it uses a group III base that is manufactured in Korea by S-oil. Is there any quantifiable difference in group III base oils made by Shell, XOM,or the Korean producers?

Quantifiable yes, but formulations are corrected for each source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back