If HPL was NOT a sponsor here then how would it truly compare to other boutique oils like redline and Amsoil? What makes HPL different and special?

Kind of off-topic, but where would you rank Castrol against Shell and Liqui-Moly in terms of quality/performance?
Depends which product. All have good and mediocre. Depending what do you want, who is customer.
Castrol Esge 0W30 is IMO their premier product, Castrol 5W40 not so much.
I don’t have particularly high opinion of Liqui Moly, mostly bcs. i was there when they just got out of Germany to other European markets. It was all about marketing with them. We tested products against their as they funneled so much money into marketing that it was hard to ignor them. But IMO, average at best.

I saw you asked that before and I meant to comment. It’s not something that is beneficial in order to “counteract fuel dilution” nor is it something that is designed into the oil formulation. Oxidative thickening is a bad thing. You want to avoid it as it has undesirable consequences.

It’s a precursor to sludge formation.
Right but it was a claim here - not by me

I saw you asked that before and I meant to comment. It’s not something that is beneficial in order to “counteract fuel dilution” nor is it something that is designed into the oil formulation. Oxidative thickening is a bad thing. You want to avoid it as it has undesirable consequences.

Right but it was a claim here - not by me
Oxidative thickening in very thin oil
(such as what might happen with the 0W20 SP/ILSAC GF-6A oil Honda likes in their 1.5T engines}
is not a surprise.

And yet Honda has their OLM going along for the ride.

(such as what might happen with the 0W20 SP/ILSAC GF-6A oil Honda likes in their 1.5T engines}
is not a surprise.

That’s a great answer to a question nobody asked …

Crunch the numbers gang, about extended OCIs and real price.

These pricey boutique oils are very often the more economical option.
Definitely true with better protection and performance too. I don't like being under my car every 3,000 miles. Sometimes that could be 1 week with a trip to Florida.

is not a surprise.

Oxidative thickening is not good no matter how you wish to spin it. It’s a degradation of the oil which leads to diminished performance in the oil’s performance capabilities.

Reactions: 4WD
Despite starting with a weird title - this has been a good thread to me. However - this ^^^ is in response to claims that certain formulas slowly build viscosity to offset dilutions …
Like with what ? A milder sloped oxidative profile … ?
(Oh, and star polymer is more common than folks think) …
How is that relationship tested ?

That’s a great answer to a question nobody asked …

Oxidative thickening is not good no matter how you wish to spin it. It’s a degradation of the oil which leads to diminished performance in the oil’s performance capabilities.
What ought to have been taken as an invitation for the commencement of good' modern oil discussion, was instead turned into familiar personal insults and wolfpack bullying.

As an example of this point, it has long been known that GF-6B oils would necessarily be reliant on surface bonding and clever design, to account for such commonly recognized factors as fuel dilution and oxidative thickening.

I say it is not end of story, but the beginning of GF-7.

What ought to have been taken as an invitation for the commencement of good' modern oil discussion, was instead turned into familiar personal insults and wolfpack bullying.

As an example of this point, it has long been known that GF-6B oils would necessarily be reliant on surface bonding and clever design, to account for such commonly recognized factors as fuel dilution and oxidative thickening.

This is your post - I have been asking why some believe HPL has a means to thicken and offset fuel dilution - you drug it somewhere else
(answer to question nobody asked)

IMG_1393.png

That’s quite the story.

This is your post - I have been asking why some believe HPL has a means to thicken and offset fuel dilution - you drug it somewhere else
(answer to question nobody asked)

View attachment 177107
You are quoting me accurately here.
That’s quite the story.
Do you have insights into what new tests are being developed for GF-7 ?

Thank you in advance.

That experiment could've been done better. The Engine Cleaner should've gone in with a fresh oil change and the HPL PCMO should've been a fresh oil change as well. Using it as top off dilutes the ester too much. The thicker oil film from that oil was likely increasing oil transport past the rings, hence the increase in consumption initially, until enough cleaning took place to improve seal and make the consumption decrease again.

Back