5/10w30 flow to cold engine bearings question

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys curious about some info i saw posted here as i was gathering info trying to figure a choice between 5/10w30

that being said, a member here posted:
Quote:

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
10W-30 is so slow at flowing, it takes a full 5 minutes to reach all the bearings on startup. But 5W-30 only takes 2/100ths of a second to reach all the bearings. With 10W-30, you're gonna find a lot of metal shavings at the bottom of the oil pan.

Is this true? does 5w30 actually take 1/50th of a second to reach all the bearings while 10w30 takes 5 minutes?

There is almost no viscosity difference between a 5W and a 10W (nor a 0W for that matter) at all "normal" startup temperatures.

That was a farcical post by an equally farcical poster. The guy lives on 10 oil, he was making fun of people who promote 5W over 10W.

Above freezing, both oils should flow the same. Perhaps Merkava4 was kidding around when he posted that. I thought he was a fan of 10w30

Originally Posted By: TexasTea
hi guys curious about some info i saw posted here as i was gathering info trying to figure a choice between 5/10w30

that being said, a member here posted:
Quote:

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
10W-30 is so slow at flowing, it takes a full 5 minutes to reach all the bearings on startup. But 5W-30 only takes 2/100ths of a second to reach all the bearings. With 10W-30, you're gonna find a lot of metal shavings at the bottom of the oil pan.

Is this true? does 5w30 actually take 1/50th of a second to reach all the bearings while 10w30 takes 5 minutes?

Nope, sorry but that quote is incorrect. In Texas, especially the southern 1/2 you will probably not see much of a difference. However the cold weather performance of the 10w30 is not as good as the 5w30 so if it gets below freezing where you are, the 5w30 would be a better choice IMO.

sarcasm.jpg

Oh my gosh looking at it a second time i cannot believe i didnt see that he was being sarcastic. wow. i feel ashamed

Originally Posted By: TexasTea
Oh my gosh looking at it a second time i cannot believe i didnt see that he was being sarcastic. wow. i feel ashamed

Well [censored]. Got me too.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
There is almost no viscosity difference between a 5W and a 10W (nor a 0W for that matter) at all "normal" startup temperatures.

That was a farcical post by an equally farcical poster. The guy lives on 10 oil, he was making fun of people who promote 5W over 10W.

I also make posts like that ....

Like ... run 30-70 in the summer and 20w-50 in the winter. And "I run the 10w-30 because the 0w-20 makes my CVT shift funny"

Merk would never bash 10w30 and mean it.

Probably has a 5 gallon pale that he is going to pressure cook his Turkey in too.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

You need to replace farcical with fecal.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: Padawan
sarcasm.jpg

Haha!

Some of us tend to "PIN" the meter at times.
shocked2.gif

Agreed, I often have this problem...

CFv9JQ_UsAE_9Jm.jpg

OP, don't feel upset about it...

There's a whole bunch of people on this site would would posit exactly that AND be serious in their incorrectness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back