Couple of Questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read some Amsoil dealers websites. they all have exactly the same talking points.
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Amsoil cannot legally claim Dexos without passing the proper testing.

And add to that registering the product with GM quality assurance!

If GM or Ford denies a warranty claim for a lubrication failure caused by non spec oil (and is is non spec, they are not on the dexos approved vendor list) then Amsoil will take on Ford or GM? Come on, i might have been born at night but not last night.

Until this thread i used Amsoil in many cars out of warranty, in almost every automatic/manual transmission, and differential. I used their filters and fuel additive.
Now i am so PO'd at the recommendation to use this stuff in new vehicles under warranty i wont buy their product anymore, i can support any other company with my money.

IMHO its totally unfair to put the customer in the position where they have to possibly (regardless of how remote) play go between the manufacturer and the company that produced the oil when all they had to do was use a spec fluid.

No thanks, to me thats dishonest and unfair because they want to save money not licensing their products.

Amsoil claims BMW LL-04 and Mercedes-Benz 229.51 for their European Car Formula 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil but when we look at the official BMW and Mercedes approved vendors list we see lots of familiar names, Pennsoil, Mobil 1, Valvoline, etc but no Amsoil.
I have no dog in this fight, none whatsoever. Anyone reading this should read the links below and draw your own conclusions to make an informed decision.

Originally Posted By: Mercedes Benz
The following product list should help you to select the correct operating fluid for your vehicle/major assembly from the variety of products in the market.
We are recommending to use exclusively the products listed in the following overview, because only these products have been tested and approved by Mercedes-Benz.
We recommend using only products

which are distinctly marked with the label indicating the approval of Mercedes-Benz, e.g. “MB-Approval 229.51”. Labels referring e.g. to “MB 229.51” don't have an approval of Mercedes-Benz. Which are listed in the current MB BeVo. Only listed products are tested and approved by Mercedes-Benz.

Originally Posted By: Mercedes Benz

Items Which Are Not Covered:
DAMAGE DUE TO LACK OF MAINTE-
NANCE: Lack of proper maintenance as
described in the Maintenance Booklet.
Use of service parts or fluids, such as
paper oil filters or improper engine oil,
which are non-approved by MBUSA
, will
cause engine damage not covered by the
warranty

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/mo.../?code=AELQT-EA

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAsset...ion_booklet.pdf

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478346

Pablo is an Amsoil dealer i expect him to come to Amsoils rescue but claiming its no problem running unlicensed fluids or extended OCI on a vehicle under warranty is a disservice IMHO.

Trav:

The AMSOIL Euro formula is approved by Mercedes, just choose 229.51 from the drop down in the page you linked or click here:

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.51_en.html

It is approved for 229.51, not 229.5 (which is the one you linked to)
smile.gif

I don't expect the BMW list to be updated yet, as they are much slower to add to it.

As far as I am aware, this is the only product that carries OEM approvals however.

True enough but they claim approval for 5w30 which i linked to when only the 5w40 has approvals.
I was just looking at it because i work on a couple of MB that need 222.5 and Amsoil has nothing, i forgot to switch it back to 229.1.

You are correct though the 5w40 is approved and look at this..
When Amsoil does have some real approvals not just recommendations they are quick to publish that fact.
Originally Posted By: Amsoil
Manufacturer Approvals:

BMW Longlife-04
MB-Approval 229.51
Porsche A40

Recommended For:

ACEA C3
API SN/SM/CF...
Chrysler MS-10850 (supersedes MS-10896)
Ford WSS-M2C917-A
GM dexos2™ (supersedes LL-A-025 and LL-B-025)
Renault RN0700/RN0710
Volkswagen 502.00/505.01

Last edited:
From the link:

Quote:
APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL European Car Formula Mid-SAPS Synthetic Motor Oil is formulated to meet or exceed the most demanding European specifications. It is recommended for European gasoline or diesel vehicles requiring any of the following performance specifications:

Manufacturer Approvals:

BMW Longlife-04
MB-Approval 229.51
Porsche A40

So that means that it does not have any of the listed approvals, right?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
From the link:

Quote:
APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL European Car Formula Mid-SAPS Synthetic Motor Oil is formulated to meet or exceed the most demanding European specifications. It is recommended for European gasoline or diesel vehicles requiring any of the following performance specifications:

Manufacturer Approvals:

BMW Longlife-04
MB-Approval 229.51
Porsche A40

So that means that it does not have any of the listed approvals, right?

That means the 5w40 does have those approvals and can be used with confidence that the engines warranty will remain in tact, anything else is just recommended by Amsoil, not the manufacturer.
The 5w30 even though it is recommended is not approved.

Around '02 there were Lexus owners having sludge problems due to Toyota design issues. My recollection is that Toyota/Lexus was honoring their warranty for owners that used oils that carried the applicable approvals. Toyota/Lexus did not immediately honor their warranty for owners that used oils that did have the applicable approvals, like Amsoil. Toyota also failed to honor their warranty for customers that followed the Amsoil 25K OCI implied recommendation. Since at least 2005, Amsoil has maintained a TSB (MO-2005-08-29)that recommends shorter OCIs for engines with "possible sludge issues".

My question, what sort of turmoil did these Toyota/Amsoil users endure in the meantime. Did Amsoil (or their insurance company) rush to the cover their customers while Amsoil recovered their costs with Toyota? I don't know. Maybe an Amsoil rep (or others) can speak to this with authority.

Similarly, when Amsoil agreed to a $1.5M settlement with Allen Engineering Corp, how long did it take for Allen to get paid. The point is, third party warranties almost always create delays on the rare occasion when something goes wrong.

Link to Allen summary:
https://wdt-law.com/cases/donovan/St Paul v Amsoil.pdf

You can listen to anyone you want if a car manufacturer tells you to meet a certain spec and an oil that you are using does not meet it there can be problems and hurdles to jump over in court and i know this because i just asked my wifes good friend who does lemon law here in nj. They grab at straws and pull anything they can think of in court. She said try to ask any oil company for a written legal letter stating that their oil will not void your engine warranty or give you any hurdle to jump over in court just in case you do have a lubrication related issue. Let mus know when the letter arrives.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
You can listen to anyone you want if a car manufacturer tells you to meet a certain spec and an oil that you are using does not meet it there can be problems and hurdles to jump over in court and i know this because i just asked my wifes good friend who does lemon law here in nj. They grab at straws and pull anything they can think of in court. She said try to ask any oil company for a written legal letter stating that their oil will not void your engine warranty or give you any hurdle to jump over in court just in case you do have a lubrication related issue. Let mus know when the letter arrives.

+1 I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting on that letter. One thing I can guarantee is you'll learn real fast what pass the buck means. Especially if there's a major repair and someone has to foot the bill and feels they're not to blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back