STP MULTIPURPOSE MOTOR TREATMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.
Can you use STP MULTIPURPOSE MOTOR TREATMENT as an oil additive to keep the engine internals clean?
How much do you use for 4.3L oil capacity?
Cheers.
Bob.

I think the general consensus here is that if the engine is already clean, you don't need additives to keep it that way. Just use a good oil and change it at intervals appropriate for its use.

OP, with the oil you show in your sig'...

Quote:
2012 Rav4 Mobil1 ESP 5w-30
2001 Camry Mobil1 ESP 5w-30

I wouldn't concern myself with STP additive.

It claims to get a TBN=9.5 on the ASTM D2896, so it would help TBN slightly, something nice to get over half-way through an oil change. I'd use the recommended (on the bottle) dose in the oil about half-way through an oil change interval. It might loosen some piston deposits, very possible.

While this additive may claim to have multi purposes, the primary one is to extract dollars from your wallet.
I wouldn't bother.
If the OP is really concerned about TBN, he can select a more robust oil than M1 ESP.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Your engine is already clean.....NEXT!

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Yup engine is already clean. But had to rebuild due to stuck piston rings. (At 30000kms) car does very short trips so I thought try something to keep piston area nice and clean.

Last edited:
Otherwise I don't need to use an additive.
Also now on I do oil flush before change oil with liqui moly engine detox.

Read the bottle.

Add to fuel as a stabilizer or FI cleaner.

Add to oil as a 15 minute flush prior to an oil change. Keyword is flush.

Originally Posted By: toyota62
Yup engine is already clean. But had to rebuild due to stuck piston rings. (At 30000kms) car does very short trips so I thought try something to keep piston area nice and clean.

The SN oils are designed to keep piston ring areas clean. If sn oils were available when saturns were first built , they might not have had oil burning problems.

I have been using API SN Mobil1 at the time. I think due to shot distance driving caused piston rings stuck. Only 5kms back from work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back