Tight moog front end parts - best grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've isolated my steering issue(memory steer) to what I believe are very tight moog front end parts. It is not the box as I thought, there is little play when the pittman arm is naked.

Disconnected stuff, the only thing left in the linkage was the idler arm and it seemed [censored] tight. As I connected more things together the steering became harder. I added a lot more grease to the joints and my butt dyno tells me resistance is going down.

I am currently using Valvoline F/M/L grease.... Wondering if I can do better in terms of slipperiness/lubrication/whatever? It seems to be good stuff but I think these parts could use the best.

My car was like that for a month or so after I replaced a bunch of front end parts. After that it loosened up enough that it behaved much nicer. How long has it been since you put the parts in?

I thought I had the best ball joints in the world, XRF. I had memory steer after installing these ball joints and subsequently changed them to Beck/Arnley which I believe are reboxed Deeza. The memory steer is gone and I now have about 20,000 happy miles on the Beck/Arnley ball joints.

I prefer dark grey Moly-lithium grease.
My mechanic prefers red Hi-temp lithium grease.
My neighbor (heavy equipment mechanic) prefers green Polyurea grease.

The Ford-spec valvoline is a fantastic grease for chassis parts, a little low max operating temp but thats not an issue here. And a healthy dose of moly. I forget how much but memory says 3% from when I researched it a few years ago. Personally I opt for the Synpower; a little more money but much wider operating temp range and still moly. Valvoline told me 1% a few years back but it certainly looks/feels like more to me. Definitely resembles the Jet-Lube Moly Paste more than a red lithium...

Just solved a wicked memory steer on my GT when I upgraded to Cobra a-arms. The original BJ on passenger side was so indexed it was unmovable by hand.

Originally Posted By: anonobomber
My car was like that for a month or so after I replaced a bunch of front end parts. After that it loosened up enough that it behaved much nicer. How long has it been since you put the parts in?

Going on 1000 miles already, so I'm getting worried. I initially thought it was the steering box, because the parts are so pristine.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I prefer dark grey Moly-lithium grease.
My mechanic prefers red Hi-temp lithium grease.
My neighbor (heavy equipment mechanic) prefers green Polyurea grease.

Years ago while searching for the "holy grail" of greases thought I would choose Chevron Ployurea. After a discussion with a Chevron lube tech I settled on Delo EP #2. The tech stated that the Polyurea wasn't compatible with conventional greases. A little "FYI".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back