Nissan begins testing of self driving car

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about stricter licensing practices so we get better driving humans?

And about a self driving car? Not for me. I enjoy driving.

Will this put a stop to illegal alien hit and runs and the inability to use turn signals?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

And about a self driving car? Not for me. I enjoy driving.

That's what many people said about automatic transmissions.

Now most models don't even offer a manual transmission option. Only about 3% of new vehicles in the U.S. are sold with one, and the share has been under 7% for over a decade.

For those that want to pretend, you can buy transmissions with "manual" mode.

I see self driving cars and a new form of Uber. Imagine getting in your car to go to work. You are set up with Uber and while playing on your tablet, you get a beep and message on the center LCD panel if you are willing to pick up a rider which will add an estimated 5 minutes to your commute. You hit yes on the touchscreen and your car drives itself to pick the rider up.

And when the gubbermint doesn't a political rally to be well attended, the cars all STOP. "Programming glitch"

If a self driving car is a bit more complicated than a GM ignition key that kills people I think I'll continue to do my own driving. I hope they require something to identify these vehicles so that I can keep away from them in traffic. This would be a big help because like many of you I'm allergic to getting killed in a traffic accident especially one caused by a hardware or software glitch.

Yes, I enjoy driving. It's the other numbnuts that are a concern. So maybe a self driver for those that don't care a lick about driving would be a good thing. They can text away, talk on the phone, apply makeup, etc...

I agree 100%. I enjoy driving a lot in spite of the other "world champions" around me. In my section of town we've had a digital sign making drivers aware of not tailgating... Bunch of drivers from up north have invaded southeast Va
smile.gif

Last edited:
It would probably be a good thing. Now I worry about the future of truck drivers. We'll probably eventually be reduced to spotting and hooking up trailers at some mega warehouse for 10 bucks an hour.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If a self driving car is a bit more complicated than a GM ignition key that kills people I think I'll continue to do my own driving. I hope they require something to identify these vehicles so that I can keep away from them in traffic. This would be a big help because like many of you I'm allergic to getting killed in a traffic accident especially one caused by a hardware or software glitch.

well I would suggest NOT to be an early adopter of this technology. That said, long term, you are going to find it will be far safer driving next to the driver-less car than with the texters/phone talkers/makeup appliers any day.

They don't trust computers to run trains on tracks, even though the technology is already there, but computers are going to coordinate millions of cars on the road? Another Jetsons idea that will never happen.

Too many variables that a computer will never be able to anticipate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back