about 1 yr, amsoil 5w30 was used
IMAG0776.jpg

IMAG0777.jpg

adbv was soft
IMAG0779.jpg

base and spring
IMAG0778.jpg

why so wavy? and brittle? butt *****

how is this a good deal for $7.99 when a fram ultra is $8.97 ?
might as well get a napa silver for $3, the wix is just a $4 silicone ADBV
not worth it

Sheesh! What condition is that engine in? The pleats have darkened substantially and appear to be pretty gunked up. That thing was definitely at, or near, the end of it's rope.

What does the seam look like?

Originally Posted By: Brybo86

[pics removed]

not worth it

Which Amsoil and did you get a UOA done? Wix are good filters, but at that price you can get better, as noted.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Sheesh! What condition is that engine in? The pleats have darkened substantially and appear to be pretty gunked up. That thing was definitely at, or near, the end of it's rope.

the seam was fine, wavy pleats on that side as well...

brothers 2007 toyota tacoma, has like 120k on engine, this was his first oci since buying it used last year,

has a K&N air filter on it even though i told him to get rid of it......

Originally Posted By: Kuato

[pics removed]

not worth it

Which Amsoil and did you get a UOA done? Wix are good filters, but at that price you can get better, as noted.

amsoil 5w30 signature series, brother did not get a UOA

Originally Posted By: Kuato

[pics removed]

not worth it

amsoil 5w30 signature series, brother did not get a UOA

Thanks....surprised he waited that long, I never trust a used car's owner to tell the truth about "just changed the oil"....

IMAG0776.jpg

IMAG0777.jpg

adbv was soft
IMAG0779.jpg

base and spring
IMAG0778.jpg

not worth it

That seems pretty pricey for a Wix. I pay just over $3.00 for a NAPA Gold when they are on sale. Even at full retail, they are about $6.35.

I've never seen a Wix look anything like that when cut open. It will be revealing to see what the next filter looks like. Have you considered recommending to your brother to do a few short interval oil changes with a high detergent motor oil, to see if you can clean out the crud?

Last edited:
Wix are $6.50 all day long in my area. That filter is rated for 7500 miles and not 10,000.

Wix are $7.99 at oreilly. The only place that carries them here.

Dang that's high. Might as well go with a Fram Ultra for that kind of money.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use a filter that tears for an engine clean-up. Too much crud going into the oil that you wouldn't want bypassing the media.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

the seam was fine, wavy pleats on that side as well...

brothers 2007 toyota tacoma, has like 120k on engine, this was his first oci since buying it used last year,

has a K&N air filter on it even though i told him to get rid of it......

First 2-3 OCI's of a used vehicle with 120k miles should be short 2-3k miles with conventional oil. After cleaning the old crud then synthetic at normal OCI.

for the price the ultra seems to be the better filter and its said to have synthetic media...I don't think the napa gold/ wix filter has synthetic media.

But Wix filters are built pretty good throughout their whole line from their cheapest to the most expensive,, That is something other filters companies don't seem to have.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Because you went 10,000 miles on it !!
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You might as well get a price on a new engine while you're at it.

Yah it's not my car, belongs to my brother.

I just told him to save the filter for me if he EVER decided to change the oil

The Chicago winters likely made the wavy filter. Longer warm up times equals excessive moisture in the oil. Even though it gets burned off, the waviness is already done. I'd say this has little to do with the condition of the engine. Ive pulled off the pretty ugly filters that were on newer trucks.

10k is about the max I would run a WIX filter. No problem stretching it out this far IMO.

As you mentioned, you can get the wire-backed Ultra for a few dollars more. Probably not a bad idea with winter approaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back