oil burners- mostly German cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
driving quitre few customer's cars daily, I must say that broad torque spread is far from universal. Most smaller engines want to stall when you approach idle and are still in gear, some even in 1st gear.

that's what drives people to diesel engines I suppose, though I also know of diesel engines lacking torque around idle.

Ironically it's the engines with little torque at idle that that tend to wear out the clutches. The more souple engines that you don't need to rev to get going or to maneouvre are much easier on their clutches.

If we all drove the same cars, we'd be arguing about colours
smile.gif

Some countries tax cars based on displacement. That is why some car makers focus on HP/L.

Japan has a tax system like that. Their version of the Z car (Fairlady) had 2.0L engines until 1988. A few 1984-1988 Fairlady models had a 3.0L engine. Finally in 1989, every Z-car had a 3.0L engine.
Also, every WRX sold in Japan, except for the rare 22B WRX used a 2.0L engine. The USA got several WRX models with a 2.5L engine.
In some ways, the USA got better cars.

Taxing displacement isn't very smart in my opinion. Just look at how much power and fuel efficiency GM got from some of their OHV engines like the 3800 V6 and LS1. They often got more MPG than lower displacement DOHC engines.

A tiny Honda S2000 uses more fuel than a 3700lb Buick with a supercharged 3800 V6. Both make similar power (about 240), but the Buick has it from idle to redline!

And the Buick will carry 6 people in cushy air conditioned comfort on the highway just over idle speed.

I can't talk though, my cars are not the pinnacle of efficiency.

What does make me laugh though, is that I had an Oldsmobile Touring Sedan in '89 with the 3800 that would regularly get 26mpg on the highway - and that was geared lower than the regular 98. Not too many large, comfortable 5 person cars today doing that. It would have been a solid 6 person car if it didn't have the center console. The chrysler 300 V6 is the only one that comes to mind and I am pretty sure it is smaller inside than the Oldsmobile was.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
A tiny Honda S2000 uses more fuel than a 3700lb Buick with a supercharged 3800 V6. Both make similar power (about 240), but the Buick has it from idle to redline!

I'll one-up you on this. The Honda S2000 uses more fuel than my 4,400lb Charger with a 6.4L 475HP V8.

That could be true.

I think the upshot is that there are lots of manufacturers that have very good products, and they excel in different ways.

They also have a lot of bad products...

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If you have any data/fact that BMW Z4 I6 3L win a race against Honda S2000 in 2004-2005 (stock vs stock) please post.

Even with the 3L Z4 I think the S2000 would win.

Once you hit redline around 6200 rpm in the M54 the oil pump nut will spin itself off and the engine will self-destruct, while the S2000 can go all the way to 9000 rpm.

I personally don't believe the posted BMW numbers, they must be from some limited edition homologation cars, and not production cars.

Honda is king when it comes to hp/litre. Anybody can make big engines. What are all those extra cylinders doing?

Last edited by a moderator:
BMW Z4 3.0L - 228HP/221 lb-ft 3.0L I6
http://fastestlaps.com/models/bmw-z4-3-0i

8:32 on the Nurburgring Nordschleife
1:37.30 on the Top Gear track
1:08.73 on Tsukuba
0:19.60 on Motovision handling course
1:10.71 on Buttonwillow West Loop (config 24)

Honda S2000 - 236HP/153 lb-ft 2.0L I4
http://fastestlaps.com/models/honda-s2000

8:39 on the Nurburgring Nordschleife
1:37.40 on the Top Gear track
1:15.10 on Tsukuba
0:20.47 on Motovision handling course
1:09.88 on Buttonwillow West Loop (config 24)

It would appear that on every track but one, the Z4 beats the S2000. And the 4,000lb E39 M5 beats both of them.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Are you drunk?

Im sorry I usually keep him locked up under the bridge and heavily medicated.

Yes, honda #1 BMW is [censored] 2 stroke agricultural equipment. There now take your meds.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: Olas
An 80s 5.0 V8 Mustang made 200ish HP, and weighed how many hundred pounds?
A 2000s hatchback with a 2.0 4 cylinder makes 200ish HP but weigghs less than half of the big v8 lump,

Those are on opposite sides of the spectrum. The best engines for me are somewhere in between, with enough torque from idle to be able to drive in top gear, but not running out of breath too soon. Where the max torque or max HP is made in the rpm range is of less significance. If you can have that in a light and compact package, it's even better. If the engine is also durable and reliable, that's excellent.

Torque is king for street driving.

Overkills website is a bit inaccurate as far as Chrysler's 300 C SRT8 is concerned.

I wonder if their test subjects were poorly driven or had all season rubber, etc. The track times are slow, and the ET and trap speed are slow as well.

This throws all the numbers into a pot of doodoo...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Overkills website is a bit inaccurate as far as Chrysler's 300 C SRT8 is concerned.

I wonder if their test subjects were poorly driven or had all season rubber, etc. The track times are slow, and the ET and trap speed are slow as well.

This throws all the numbers into a pot of doodoo...

Generally the cars are bone stock. So if they come with awful tires like my SRT-8 did, they aren't surprising.

Magazine numbers are also often poor compared to what an enthusiast is able to wring out of a car. We saw this all the time with the Mustangs in terms of what a magazine got for trap/ET and what some guys on the forums were able to get out of them FWIW.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

HP/L tells you how advance the engine is at the time it was designed. HP/L complied with tough US emission control is even harder to do.

If you think Honda S2000 engine is over-hyped, 240 HP 4-cyl is useless such that Z4 2.5L can beat it on any race circuit, do you accept my challenge ?

HP/L doesn't, IMO tell you much at all.

Let's recall... HP is effectively a derived number, not really based in any fundamental physics.

A horsepower is a unit of power equal to 746 watts or 33,000 lb-ft per minute (550 lb-ft per second).

HP = rpm x Torque/5252

5252=33,000 divided by 3.14 x 2 = 5252 (DISTANCE per revolution = RADIUS x 2 x 3.14, and we know the radius is normalized as foot-lb).

So its all about torque...

To get 300 HP at 9000 RPM would require around 175 lb-ft of torque. To get the same power at 5000 RPM would require approximately 315 lb-ft of torque.

I don't know, plenty of older cars were able to get over 130 lb-ft of torque from 2.0L. 175 doesn't seem like much of a stretch from there.

What is impressive is working at 9000 RPM. Ill grant that. The reciprocating parts need strength to overcome the pounding and the elongation forces, while the rotating masses need to have enough strength that tip speeds at those RPMs don't rip them apart. That's relatively easy in exotic engines with routine repair and replacement intervals and expensive, special materials. In a low cost consumer car? Not as much. So doing 9000 RPM and still being smooth and capable as a daily driver is a nice trait.

But that said, low torque at high rpm to make a HP number isn't that impressive to me. Its uncomfortable, inefficient, and has other potential lifecycle issues. But like anything in engineering, everything is a tradeoff...

So to say x hp/L from a super fast spinning engine is great, well, maybe its impressive in some ways, but its not all that wonderful in others...

Its really no different than saying that oil a is better than oil b because oil a has 60% PAO while oil b is 60% group III, when in reality, oil b performs identically, has the same or better oxidation resistance, and can carry more additives. Yes, on some grounds oil a is better. But in the big picture, all these numbers are just that, numbers. An S2000 is an interesting and good car, but not necessarily because of its HP/L numbers. A BMW is also an interesting and good car, but just because it doesn't spin at 9000 PRM and make the same hp/L doesn't mean it is less worthy. Each will have its fans, and each will have its critics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back