Car has been sitting for 3 years with NEW Defy Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a car that has been sitting for 3 or 4 years with brand new Defy oil in it. We are moving, so I need to drive this car 20 miles to our new house. Should I change the oil before driving it to it's new sitting place? I changed the oil 3 or 4 years ago to drive it 45 miles and I haven't started it or drove it since.

The oil looks good and the oil level looks appropriate on the dip stick.

What do you guys think?

It's a 1985 Toyota Celica GTS with the 2.4 motor.

Originally Posted By: berniedd
The oil is fine, I'd be more concerned about that old, stale fuel. I'd drain it and refill with fresh gas before I'd start it.

+1 Even if you used fuel stabilizer in the tank, it's not still good after 3-4 years.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Originally Posted By: berniedd
The oil is fine, I'd be more concerned about that old, stale fuel. I'd drain it and refill with fresh gas before I'd start it.

+1 Even if you used fuel stabilizer in the tank, it's not still good after 3-4 years.

+2 - My brother has already had to replace at least the pump, if not the tank in his 14k mi 98 Mustang because it was completely varnished up.(he NEVER uses any kind of stabilizer, he also doesn't put it up on stands, but that's another discussion...)

Change the oil but make sure it's hot NOT cold.

A 20 mile drive should do it.

grin.gif

Drain the fuel huh?

It started right up when I put a new battery in it. But, this is a Toyota, so I kindof figured it was going to start.

What kind of damage do I risk by running the old gas 20 miles? If I blow it up, Mehullica won't want to buy it anymore
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bennybigb
Drain the fuel huh?

It started right up when I put a new battery in it. But, this is a Toyota, so I kindof figured it was going to start.

What kind of damage do I risk by running the old gas 20 miles? If I blow it up, Mehullica won't want to buy it anymore
smile.gif

If you suck tainted, varnished fuel into your engine for 20 miles of driving, ask yourself if that's going to IMPROVE your engine. Think about fuel lines, fuel injectors and spark plugs.

A better idea if you don't want to drain the gas and you don't plan to drive the car in the near future: tow it to your new house.

Forget the oil! Just forget it!

The gas is your issue for sure. If you cannot drain it, buy and add a 2X dose of Regane or Techron (These have PEA) and pour in filler hole, then add 3-4 gallons of premium (high octane) fuel to wash it down.

This does not replace draining the gas and adding new in, but will help the situation, warding off varnishing fuel problems.

OK, you guys have made me a believer. What is the easiest way to get the old gas out of the tank?

3/8 diameter plastic hose and a bucket? Or should I buy some fancy contraption?

PS. I have other cars that will need this service done to them as well.... too many cars, not enough time to take care of them all....

Last edited:
The gas is fine. If it starts up and runs, just top off with some fresh gas and you're good to go. I drove a Taurus on old gas that had been sitting 3 years. These guys want you to jump through hoops for 30 year old beater Yoda. The oil is fine too, change it at 3k miles even if it's ten years from now, just keep it topped off.

There's a fuel pressure test port on the fuel rail/ intake manifold somewhere, looks like a tire shraeder valve. Spray a little out. If it smells nasty, it's bad. If it's good, it's good. If nothing comes out, you've got major trouble.
laugh.gif

It'll be low octane from sitting, so don't hammer the gas. Also beware of rusty brakes and critters in the air filter.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
The gas is fine. If it starts up and runs, just top off with some fresh gas and you're good to go.

Even if it cranks and runs now, he indicates its going back into storage. This gas is either bad now, or very soon about to be. If he wants just a short time more of additional storage, he should follow my advice above. It won't make the gas new again, but will ward off problems for a bit.

I have no problem putting additives in it, I will probably only be able to get 2 gallons of fresh gas in there because I topped it off with premium right before driving it 45 miles to it's current resting place (3/4 years ago).

I hope to make this a daily driver again in the spring, but that's still 6 months away.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
The gas is fine. If it starts up and runs, just top off with some fresh gas and you're good to go. I drove a Taurus on old gas that had been sitting 3 years. These guys want you to jump through hoops for 30 year old beater Yoda. The oil is fine too, change it at 3k miles even if it's ten years from now, just keep it topped off.

Best advice in this thread by far. If it runs, its not going to hurt it on a short drive. You wouldn't want to take it out and flog it so that detonation would be a problem, but a short drive is no big deal. At most, maybe siphon of 5 gallons for use in the lawnmowers and put in a fresh 5 gallons to dilute the old fuel.

It's the gas that you should be worried about. But since you said it started just fine, like bigt61 said, top it off with some fresh gas and your good to go. My advice: also add MMO to the gas tank!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back