Transmission oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello im going to change my transmission oil but im not doing a flush just the normal drain.
im going to using royal pruple AFT or either valvoline maxlife ATF....my question is that since all the old transmission oil would not be able to taken out...would it be able to mix with the new SYNTHETIC oil without any problems. Please note the transmission oil was never changed and the vehicle has about 150 000 km on it. Factory oil i believe to be conventional oil

Last edited:
Each drain and fill you will replace about 1/3 old fluid, you need to do 3-4 drain/fill cycles. Drain/fill the drive a day or 2, repeat 2-3 times.

You need to buy 1.5-2.0 the fluid capacity of your Nissan.

Yes, the new synthetic will mix fine but I agree with the above post of doing multiple drain and fills. We use RP Max ATF and really like it. But it is EXPENSIVE so if price is a concern I'd go with the MaxLife ATF.

It should mix. In my truck I have a mix of ST atf, valv maxlife atf, and a little of what the previous owner put in it, runs like new.

If this is a Nissan AT, change it out at 30k intervals.

I just changed mine at 41k (First change for me, I'm second owner) and you wouldn't believe how bad the fluid was oxidized.

This is a 2012 Frontier, PRO-4X.

And I would recommend against using Nissan's NissanMatic S ATF.

Redline D6, Amsoil ATL, Dexron-VI, and MaxLife ATF will all fare better than the Nissan NIssanMatic S.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back