Best way to store 50 gallons of gaoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suppose someone would want to store 50 Gallons of gasoline in a pole barn with a concrete floor, far form any homes; Would ten 5 gallon gasoline containers be better or one 55 gallon metal drum with a rotary hand pump. The gasoline would be emptied and replenished once a year. Both means to store would be on a heavy duty wood pallet.
When I searched this, I found answers across the board. Some said to vent the drum while others said no. Almost everyone said to ground the drum.
In this location, gasoline storage is legal up to 200 gallons, non agricultural and storage would be over 200 feet away from any homes.

How and into what do you ultimately intend to dispense and consume those delicious hydrocarbons?
fwiw I see fuels regularly stored inside of 'original' containers replete with requisite labeling btw.

Alternatively you're welcome to pump it into my truck...it'll be long gone inside of any week.
smile.gif

I assume this is for a generator? Save yourself the hassle and go propane. You can buy a propane generator or I have seen kits to convert gasoline ones.

Propane does not go bad.

Ensure that the gasoline doesn't pressurize the containers.... perhaps a check valve?
Minimize the air space in the container(s). You don't want to form a gas vapor / air mix that is anywhere near explosive. if you take some of the gas out weekly, this could be an issue with a single container. More than 10 % of the container volume should be gas filled to keep a fuel rich mixture. Oddly, cool temperatures may be more dangerous for the gas, since less gasoline vapor will form, increasing the likelihood of an explosive mixture.

Consider a secondary pan for the gas to ensure it doesn't leach into the ground or the concrete.

Have stored in steel. I have around 80 gallons on tap right now.
I store unvented and grounded. Treated with seafoam and mmo.

My question is there any plastic barrels that will withstand gasohol/gasoline.
I blue for kero, clear for high sulfer diesel. They are not dot but are a decade old and still doing overtime.

Harvey

In the winter I store 55 gallons of winter gasoline treated with Sta-Bil in 22 two and a half gallon red plastic gas containers.

In the spring, I use up my winter stash of gasoline by using it in our cars before the hot summer days arrive.

There is a considerable difference between summer gasoline and winter gasoline.

Winter gasoline has more low carbon number molecules and will evaporate easier in cold weather. If you store winter gasoline in summer temperatures it will try to evaporate too much and it will cause considerable vapor pressures in the storage container. If left in storage during hot summer temperatures it causes the plastic rectangular jugs to balloon out on their sides making them look somewhat like a round container. If you use military steel jerry cans they might be able to handle the pressure without deforming. But I would rather not try to get by with relying on that type of can to handle the extra pressure winter gasoline causes when stored at hot summer temperatures. So I use it up before the hot summer days arrive.

I store twenty gallons of summer gasoline treated with Sta-Bil during the summer. Summer gasoline does not throw off too much vapors when in storage at summer temperatures, like winter gasoline does, however because it is designed to vaporize at warmer temperatures, it is not a good gasoline to run in the winter, and can cause starting problems if used in the winter.

I do not store as much gasoline in the summer because there is no chance of a winter snow or ice storm shutting down the roads for several days in a row.

In the fall, I use up my summer stash of gasoline before the cold days of winter arrive.

To sum it all up:

Summer gasoline is formulated for running engines in the summer and does not try to evaporate too much when in storage and exposed to summer temperatures. However it is not good for starting engines in the winter.

Winter gasoline will evaporate even when it is at winter temperatures and is good for starting engines in winter temperatures. Winter gasoline will evaporate to much when exposed to summer temperatures and can cause the container to bulge out on it sides, and the pressure it causes can cause the vapors (the good stuff that makes it a good gasoline to run in the winter) to leave the container if it can not handle the pressure.

Summer gasoline is for the summer, and winter gasoline is for the winter. If you try to store (and use) one of these for an entire year you could have problems. If you chose summer gasoline your engines may not start on very cold days. If you chose winter gasoline your storage container may be exposed to too much vapor pressure and be damaged (bulge out, and or breach) or cause vapors (the good stuff that makes it a good gasoline to run in the winter) to escape.

I see there are dozens of brands of fuel stabilizers. From what I have searched, People seem to rave about PRI-G. I have always used StaBil since Paul Harvey advertised it, and had no issues even when storing gas beyond a year. I bought a gallon of StaBil at Meijer last spring for 75% off so this is what I will use.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Get the 55 gallon drum and make sure you use Sta-Bil. You'll need 125 ounces for 50 gallons.

According to the instructions on the Sta-Bil bottle the dose is one ounce per 2.5 gallons. That is 2 ounces per 5 gallons, 20 ounces per 50 gallons, 22 ounces per 55 gallons.

You can double the dose for up to two years of storage. That would be 44 ounces per 55 gallons.

Originally Posted By: cat843
I assume this is for a generator? Save yourself the hassle and go propane. You can buy a propane generator or I have seen kits to convert gasoline ones.

Propane does not go bad.

Propane has some problems. You need a large enough tank so that the refrigeration effect does not cause too much cooling. If the tank is too small for the rate you are using the propane then the liquid propane in the tank can become too cold. That will cause the pressure in the tank to be too low.

Also, propane is heavier than air. If there is a leak and there is no wind, propane can flow down hill and accumulate in low areas. That can result in an explosive mixture that is large enough to be a real danger.

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
Suppose someone would want to store 50 Gallons of gasoline in a pole barn with a concrete floor, far form any homes; Would ten 5 gallon gasoline containers be better or one 55 gallon metal drum with a rotary hand pump. The gasoline would be emptied and replenished once a year. Both means to store would be on a heavy duty wood pallet.
When I searched this, I found answers across the board. Some said to vent the drum while others said no. Almost everyone said to ground the drum.
In this location, gasoline storage is legal up to 200 gallons, non agricultural and storage would be over 200 feet away from any homes.

1) Would ten 5-gall gas cans or one 55-gal be better?
I guess that depends on your anticipated usage, however I would venture that 5-gallon cans might be more convenient and cheaper than a drum + hand pump. I have used both (5-gallon cans at home and 35-gallon steel tank with hand-pump at old job). 5-gallon is plenty convenient for me as I am able to hold a full 5-gal can up to my car's filler neck two to four times every couple months. If I were fueling every day for days on end or 20+ cars per week I would vote 35-55 gal tank plus hand-crank pump.

2) The gasoline would be emptied and replaced once a year.
If using 5-gal cans you could replace 3-4x per year easy. Every week or two when it's time to fill up dump a can in your vehicle(s), then take the empty can to the gas station with you and fill it back up when filling the tank in your vehicle. Rotate inventory on a FIFO schedule (First In, First Out... which means burn your oldest inventory every time you refuel).

3) Some said to vent the drum...
Do not listen to them!

4) Almost everyone said to ground the drum.
If your choose to go with drum storage instead of can storage then grounding is relatively easy but ultimately up to you. Grounding is best practice for safety but largely unneeded (especially in the case of individual 5-gal cans).

I like the drum and pump mostly because it's cleaner as most 5 gallon containers spill a little out the nozzle or vent. If the fuel container doesn't need to be moved then a drum pump with a padlock is also more convenient than a chain through the jug handles.

I'm in the no-vent camp.

The last-in, first out inventory management scheme has merits and that's possible with small containers.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Propane has some problems. You need a large enough tank so that the refrigeration effect does not cause too much cooling. If the tank is too small for the rate you are using the propane then the liquid propane in the tank can become too cold. That will cause the pressure in the tank to be too low.

Really only a problem with vapor withdrawal.

Ten NATO cans would be superior to a drum but would cost a pretty penny. You can also get 16 and 30 gallon steel closed head drums. Whatever you do I'd want steel, and I'd want it sealed.

Not only to be a steel drum but it being lined also to prohibit rust.

Last edited:
I have regularly used 55 and 30 gallon drums for gasoline and diesel storage over the years, and use a rotary pump. I just use empty fuel additive drums and oil drums that I have accumulated. I have about 30 empty 55 and 30 gallon drums stacked up in the barn I have accumulated. I keep the 1 or 2 I fill with fuel in a separate shed.

I usually don't hold onto a drum of gas for a year at a time though. I tend to go thru 30 gallons of gas every couple of months with all the different small engines that it gets used for at my place. For the 2-3 month storage game I do most often, I have become fond of the Amsoil Quickshot product. It is great for shorter term storage and small engines. 8 oz to 12 gallons of gas. If I was keeping the stuff longer, I have liked the PRI-G that I have used in the past for longer term storage. Thought about giving the Amsoil Gasoline Stabilizer product a try if I ever need to store some gas for an extended period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back