Raise front end or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on which direction the ball joints are loaded, and where the grease insertion is.

(Also depends on how the front of the car is lifted)

You will be able to feel if the grease port is covered, but that's why your grease gun spits out several thousand psi. You should be able to push open the clearance, just don't over do it.
The odd time I have the loader on my tractor off the ground when greasing the pins and you can see the loader lifted minutely on some pins.

Uhm, I lift the wheels off the ground. Often the grease hardens in the zerks and I have to remove it and push the clot out with the grease gun

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Depends on which direction the ball joints are loaded, and where the grease insertion is.

(Also depends on how the front of the car is lifted)

Exactly. I found in certain vehicles over the years that there was a fitting or two that were difficult to grease if there was a load on the front end. I was also taught it was best to have the wheels off the ground for a grease job, so I continue to do so.

The fit of the joints in good condition should be tight so it shouldn't matter.

Should and is are not synonyms
grin2.gif

My .02 here, I find the joints easier to grease when unloaded.

My front end loader has 12 grease fittings and occasionally if the bucket is not at rest, it will be difficult to pump the grease through.

Sometimes even unloading the joint doesn't help and nice whack with a brass hammer on the pin allows the grease through.

Just something I was taught and it seems to work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back