Fram ph9688 7500 oci m5k 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran 7500oci per owners manual on 2014 Kia Sorento 2.4 21,000miles. ABDV still pliable but sorta flattened filter was dented with strap wrench removing right where the end caps are pushed up. Not gonna lie it's ugly as all heck but it held together with no failures replaced with another ph9688 also have two more in stash and QS 5w20.will run another 7500oci. ][/url]

I used them for years in the 70s and 80s. My two issues with the EGs are price and lack of media. With that said, although it looks horrible, it did not tear nor separate and therefore, it did its job.

Agreed. I got the OCODs pretty cheap a while back at advance with some store credit I had to get rid of. My 2012 sorento has a tough guard il post it when I change it next. Looking forward to seeing how it compares to this one.

Poor thing looks like it's seen better days.
IMHO 5k is their limit .
Thanks for the Cut and Post.

Looks horrible ... way worse than other EGs posted lately, including the other one posted by you in your other thread.

Is this vehicle short tripped? Almost looks maybe some moisture in the oil causing the wavy media.

Thanks for the pictures
A world class Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 etc is just $4-$5 an oil change if you double up on them.
I'm not a Fram basher but I thank you as I don't want to use filters like that.

I don't consider it short tripped my mom drives it 20miles round trip to work 5-6 days a week and then 60-70 mile round trips to town about twice a week.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Thanks for the pictures
A world class Fram Ultra or Mobil 1 etc is just $4-$5 an oil change if you double up on them.
I'm not a Fram basher but I thank you as I don't want to use filters like that.

Due to warranty I can't double trip oil filters and I'm not wasting money to use a higher end filter that's underutilized. With that being said when my stash is used up il more than likely use a tough guard or wix brand.

This is why i stay far away from frams ocod's and buy quality filters but at least it did not seem to tear as far as i can see like purolater does.. These might be made out of cardboard but like i said it as far as i can see did not tear. Why not use a quality Hyundai/Kia filter because they are great filters priced rite at many stealers.

What is it with orange cans looking really good or a total train wreck? This element looks like it was run over by a truck. I just can't see using an EG or TG with how inconsistent the quality is.

The can has a big old dent in it, did you use filter pliers to take this off? Could you have damaged the element doing so?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
What is it with orange cans looking really good or a total train wreck? This element looks like it was run over by a truck. I just can't see using an EG or TG with how inconsistent the quality is.

The can has a big old dent in it, did you use filter pliers to take this off? Could you have damaged the element doing so?
as said in the post I used a strap wrench and dented it. Right where the end caps are pushed inward.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
This is why i stay far away from frams ocod's and buy quality filters but at least it did not seem to tear as far as i can see like purolater does.. These might be made out of cardboard but like i said it as far as i can see did not tear. Why not use a quality Hyundai/Kia filter because they are great filters priced rite at many stealers.
yes the Kia Oem filters are great I posted one on here before but I'm not driving 30 miles outta my way to buy one I may one day buy a case to have on hand since I have two sorentos but it's easier to get a filter when I buy the oil at Walmart. And I bought 3 ocod for it at advance with store credit I had to use only reason I didn't get a TG

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
You can always run a Fram Ultra at 7500 miles and dump it each change. At least you know you'd have no issues

Wish I could. Warrenty won't allow it.

Originally Posted By: tratman2000
You can always run a Fram Ultra at 7500 miles and dump it each change. At least you know you'd have no issues

The warranty won't allow you to use a Fram Ultra but you can use a extra guard?

This one looks horrid compared to your other one you posted. Very odd indeed. I was always under the impression the 9688 was packed with a bit more media than this.

Originally Posted By: tratman2000

The warranty won't allow you to use a Fram Ultra but you can use a extra guard?

Puzzled on the reason why the "warranty won't allow it".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back