Honda A02 oil filter C&P with 16,834 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks,

Well there has been a fair amount of discussion concerning two engine oil changes per one oil filter usage. I think I will throw my experiences into the discussion as well.

During July of 2013, I purchased a new 2013 Honda Accord with the J35 V6 engine. I proceeded to drive it to 8692 miles to the code "A1" Maintenance Minder (MM) service which is the engine oil change WITHOUT an oil filter change. Due to family circumstances, I was unable to change the factory fill oil at the 15% interval at which the MM green wrench appears. Instead, I let the MM go down to 5% and changed the factory fill during May of 2014.

I have nearly always changed oil myself since it is fairly easy and saves money. Also, I normally change the oil filter as well with every oil change. This time, however, was different for this first OC. Also note that I did not own a filter wrench since I always hand screwed any oil filter.

I tried to hand unscrew the factory oil filter, but Honda had factory torqued the original oil filter very tightly: I could not hand unscrew the filter. Well, I had already drained the oil and my wife was out of town with the kids so I could not run to the store with her SUV to buy a filter wrench. Sunset was approaching and I had to drive to work early the next morning. The bottom line is that I just drained the oil, left the filter on, and refilled with new oil.

I could have replaced the filter later, but as usual, it was one thing after another and I figured Honda warranted the engine, so what the heck. The manual also states the "A1" service just requires replacing the engine oil.

After driving another 8142 miles to January of 2015, the MM wrench appeared with the "B1" service code: change engine oil and oil filter. The total mileage on this factory Honda A02 filter tallied to 16,834 miles.

Well, I finally got around to cutting and dissecting this filter during this summer of 2015. At first, I tried cutting with my trusty Wiss tin snips just above the base of the filter like most of the BITOG'ers do. This proved unsuccessful as I was damaging the filter pleats. Instead, I cut ugly by cutting the base around where the rubber gasket lies.

Some observations of the Honda A02 filter. The metal can for this filter is very strong, I could barely cut it with my tin snips. The ADBV was pliable on this filter and also held oil as I could hear oil sloshing in the can after I removed the filter. I could see no sign of any tearing of the pleats or tearing at the pleats and fiber end cap junctions. The metal crimp connecting the pleats proved adequate as well. The pics are below for your inspection, and especially your comments!

One note on the picture where the pleats appear crushed. This was caused by my tip snips damaging the pleats as I tried cutting on the main body of the can.

1XTHAJb.jpg
a9oS9IO.jpg

u5uTka9.jpg

ipzo39C.jpg

lHHMpwD.jpg

89JWUQf.jpg

18Yuc7k.jpg

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Not bad for a cardboard Fram. What did you replace it with?

A Fram Ultra from WallyWorld I bought for about nine dollars. I plan on using it for two oil changes. I am already approaching 10k miles on this filter.

My OLM has me change the oil between 5K and 6K miles on my '08, conventional oil. I've been changing the filter each time, but your pictures give me confidence to use one for two OCIs. I have two A02s, a Tough Guard, and an Extra Guard in my stash. I'm now confident in using the TG and A02s for two OCIs.

Originally Posted By: dorcheat

A Fram Ultra from WallyWorld I bought for about nine dollars. I plan on using it for two oil changes. I am already approaching 10k miles on this filter.

Cool! Remember that Fram does have a $2 rebate on the Ultra, maximum two rebates ($4)

Amazing. Proves that 99% of BITOG'ers over maintain their cars. I was like that before... much less mental now.

That filter held up great, especially for the miles.

-Eric

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I thought the factory Honda oil filter was made by FilTech ?

Some are made by Filtech, some by Fram. My understanding is that both are shipped to dealers, and they're the same price. There are some internal differences but they're considered functionally identical. It doesn't make a difference to me either way.

Originally Posted By: jr047

Some are made by Filtech, some by Fram. My understanding is that both are shipped to dealers, and they're the same price. There are some internal differences but they're considered functionally identical. It doesn't make a difference to me either way.

BTW, your pictures are showing up anymore. Please fix
wink.gif

Not bad for the mileage.

Filtech doesnt make the honda A1 filter anymore, that filter was discontinued quite some time ago.

Originally Posted By: Wildcard
Not bad for the mileage.

Filtech doesnt make the honda A1 filter anymore, that filter was discontinued quite some time ago.

If they don't there are an enormous number of them sitting in warehouses as I just ordered another 5.

Filtech makes the -A01's and Honeywell makes the -A02's... Honeywell spun off their interest in Fram a year or two ago FYI.

Despite them being made to the "same specs" I prefer the Filtech A01's personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back