How far to go to avoid ethanol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quest
In this perpetual "echo chamber" called the "internet", information gets recycled, regurgitated and then spit out over and over again, and fear-mongers, echo dittoheads are the ones that keeps spreading FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt).

Be wise when using the internet these days, over 80% of the info is now what you want to believe in.

Q.

Four fifths of what?

Originally Posted By: cat843
Iowa grows all the corn, so I can see resistance to E0 in that state.

Yes, I am VERY surprised that one can buy ANY E0, ANYWHERE at all in that state!

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I want gasoline to refine the metals of the engine(cylinder walls, valve face/head, piston crowns). Not alcohol to dry them out making them brittle and ductile.

Interesting post, and as a seeker of the truth myself, I'm interested in your statements.

Firstly, how does gasoline refine the metals of the engine ?

Secondly, how does ethanol dry them out ?

Finally, brittle is like glass, ductile is like plasticine, so I'm very interested in how alcohol, in drying them out makes them both brittle AND ductile.

Please explain the truth in all these conflicting statements.

With the two cars you have listed, 2014 Mazda 6 and 2009 RAV4, I see no reason to go out of your way to avoid ethanol.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I want gasoline to refine the metals of the engine(cylinder walls, valve face/head, piston crowns). Not alcohol to dry them out making them brittle and ductile.

Interesting post, and as a seeker of the truth myself, I'm interested in your statements.

Firstly, how does gasoline refine the metals of the engine ?

Secondly, how does ethanol dry them out ?

Finally, brittle is like glass, ductile is like plasticine, so I'm very interested in how alcohol, in drying them out makes them both brittle AND ductile.

Please explain the truth in all these conflicting statements.

Yes, dear oh dear - Please do tell how this all works for us...
Can't wait to hear the explanation on this one mjoekingz28 ...!!

BurrWinder

Ok gentelmen.

Shannow, please refrain from being hateful regarding something that you maya or may not understand. Also, I think none of us knows everything, so we should assist each other lovingly in our quest for a. Excellence. B. rightousness C. Perfection. All three a, b, c should be in His honor and, redundantly in the hope and sake of Good.

....moving on....

Ok, i am not exactly formally trained but I consider myself Orthodox. Orthodox, IMHO, has taken a beating. Orthodox 100 years ago may mean, generally and to different people different meanings- than, as it does today.

Electricity has, as a guess, fast forwarded us humans and the Earth, etc along so much that the word "modern" may be confusing.

Ok, so lets not pretend to know it all and on that note, act like we know the history, present time AND the future of metallurgy.

If you would like more or a different or an honest question regarding anything written above this line, please do PM me!

Ok, i am not exactly formally trained but I consider myself Orthodox. Orthodox, IMHO, has taken a beating. Orthodox 100 years ago may mean, generally and to different people different meanings- than, as it does today.

Electricity has, as a guess, fast forwarded us humans and the Earth, etc along so much that the word "modern" may be confusing.

Ok, so lets not pretend to know it all and on that note, act like we know the history, present time AND the future of metallurgy.

If you would like more or a different or an honest question regarding anything written above this line, please do PM me!

I reread this post a couple times... yet cannot find the foggiest thing that pertains to metallurgy, ethanol, religion, or politics for that matter !! Some people's kids...!!

BurrWinder

I have no idea what he's trying to say either. And yet he slams Shannow for asking questions (which have yet to be addressed, BTW).

Shannow is not "hateful", that's ridiculous hyperbole on mjoekingz28's part. It was just a set of questions that I'm assuming he can't answer, so he brings out the "hate" label.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I have no idea what he's trying to say either. And yet he slams Shannow for asking questions (which have yet to be addressed, BTW).

Shannow is not "hateful", that's silly hyperbole on mjoekingz28's part. It was just a set of questions that I'm assuming he can't answer, so he brings out the "hate" label.

+1 ( or plus more if I'm allowed !! )

BurrWinder

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Shannow is not "hateful", that's ridiculous hyperbole on mjoekingz28's part. It was just a set of questions that I'm assuming he can't answer, so he brings out the "hate" label.

Shannow was, as always, completely reasonable in his response. Me? My first reaction was more like...

there are more than a few confused people trying to rationalise your somewhat emphatic statements of fact.

I'm not going to PM you to clarify statements made in the public part of the forum.

Just ask again that you give evidence for same.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Just ask again that you give evidence for same.

The evidence is evident.

That is all I GOT!

The evidence is evident.

That is all I GOT!

OK, we're getting somewhere.

evident because someone told you ?

evident because you read it on the internet (links would help) ?

evident because it's a belief hat you hold/developed (then you can explain your reasoning) ?

I'm interested in the concept of brittle ductility, and how you came to such beliefs.

moreso how petroleum or alcohol based fuels affect it.

$.90 more per gallon when reg gas is around $2/gal isn't going to pay off no matter what. I buy E0 for OPE only. E10 isn't going to hurt a late model daily driver.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: cat843
Iowa grows all the corn, so I can see resistance to E0 in that state.

Yes, I am VERY surprised that one can buy ANY E0, ANYWHERE at all in that state!
Believe it or not, it is quite readily available here. In my area (Cedar Rapids) I would estimate that at least 1/3 of the pumps are E0. Most pumps around here have three choices: 87E0, 87E10 and 91E10. Where I buy at BP, however, is 87E10, 89E10, 91E0.

I like running E0 91 because I have a fiesta that gets noticeably better MPG compared to E10 87 octane.
But I am from Wester NY next to the great lakes, with the crazy temperature swings and high moisture level here it would be foolish not to run E10 at least once in a while due to water in the gas. E10 does a good job of getting rid of that.

Originally Posted By: ruxCYtable
Haven't posted in quite a while. Sorry if I've missed any recent discussions on this topic.

Unless I absolutely have no choice, I avoid putting ethanol in my vehicle. Ironic, since I live in Iowa.

Recently signed up for BP Visa with driver rewards, which I really like. My dilemma is, around here only their premium fuel is ethanol-free, the 91 octane, and it costs 90 cents per gallon more than regular. I buy all my gas on the BP card and I have several of my monthly utilities billed to it so I can get more points and once or twice a month I build up enough to get a dollar off per gallon or so.

I could sit down a do a bunch of math, I guess, but wondering if anyone has done a back of the envelope calculation on it already. I don't mind paying a little more to be ethanol free, but at what point is the premium just not worth it? Opinions?

Well, living in Iowa too, I notice just about every Casey's I have come across has ethanol free regular gas. Not every one of them, but most. I fill a 30 gallon drum occasionally with E0 87 regular at my local Casey's now and then for some special applications I prefer to use E0 in. If you are tied to the BP card for your fuel and that leaves you only premium as an option, you might consider putting the BP card away and using another. But if you figure that the BP driver rewards are worth the extra cost in buying premium, then have at it. They would have to be some pretty good rewards to justify shelling out that much money for them.

To me, premium is never worth it. I am a cost per mile kind of person. I know what I get for mpg from E0, E10, E15, E20, E30, and E85. I fuel with what is at a price point that it offers me the lowest cost per mile. No bias.

They want a ~ dollar premium for ethanol free in my metro area. NO THANKS. I doubt it costs them more. So any station that offers it gets NONE of my business. Gougers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back