Synthetic vs Cellulose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I have no time to do the research on this anymore and would love some help. I've got a 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i non-turbo and will be changing the oil/filter. Oil is fully synth Moble1. The current filter is a royal purple, but the psi spec is wrong. All the synthetic medium filters have the wrong specs as I can find so far. Only paper ones have the stock and I'm leaning Napa Gold 7712, Beck Arnely 041-8181, or stock Honeywell/Subaru 15208AA12A. I would love to reach a 10k OCI, but don't think the filter will make that...I could be wrong. 7500 is the book's OCI.

I'm also considering Stock since that has more surface area for the filter medium. What are your thoughts?

For humor, the Subaru mechanic at the Subaru shop told me my Outback has 3 filters that need changed and the OCI is 3k. I just shook my head.

Last edited:
In general, it is not mandatory for filter to be constructed of synthetic fiber to make it to 10K miles and above. Many German cars use cellulose cartridge filters and can easily handle 10K or more on them.

Not saying that is necessarily true in your case, but if your engine is in good condition, you could always do a 10K run and see what the filter looks like afterwards and decide then.

The Subaru filter is so small, I can't imagine it lasting more than 3k miles. The small size is also why I suspect the reason for a higher PSI.

Originally Posted By: snakyjake
The Subaru filter is so small, I can't imagine it lasting more than 3k miles. The small size is also why I suspect the reason for a higher PSI.

Is this a joke? I have been using Wix 57055 filters at 7.5k miles and I am sure I could double it if I really felt like it. But, I am a believer in 1 filter for 1 OCI. So, you could go the full OCI every time!

Also, the Wix 57055 and Napa Gold 7055 have the correct PSI rating.

Last edited:
Perhaps, the manual says 7500 miles for that small filter. There are larger filtered that will fit but there has been discussion about overheating because the exhaust goes around the filter and the longer one exposes more to the the two pipes. Also, they may not be configured for the right psi and the relief may be in a different position.

Use a Mobil 1, Napa Gold, or Fram Ultra that fits a 4 cylinder Honda Accord.

I have a Honda and Subie. They usually both get filters listed under Honda. Just look up whatever filter you...say for a 2010 Honda Accord with the 4 cylinder.

Ignore the high by-pass spec.

Honda says replace filter every other oil change (assuming 7500mi), and their filter is just cellulose. I think Subaru's filter for 10k is fine.

Honda filters, both the A1 and A2 are actually a cellulose/synthetic blend and are designed to go two OCI's.

a Napa Gold is also a cellulose/synthetic blend and should have no problem going 10k on a clean engine.

Purolator has always used the correct high bypass setting for Subarus so try a Purolator Synthetic or a Bosch Long Life.

My Honda 2013 Accord would go 10K easily before the OCM would go off and I had many short trips. So I could see 25K miles with a Interstate driver on the OEM Honda Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back