1995 Land Rover Discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1995 Land Rover Discovery with the 3.9L V8 engine and I haven't changed the oil since I bought it.

What type of oil and how much oil does this truck take? Thanks

Originally Posted By: Tyleryac
It is actually a GM made engine

If I call it a Buick 215, will that provide some misplaced confidence that your GEMS Rover engine will start in the morning?

I have a 1995 Land Rover Discovery with the 3.9L V8 engine and I haven't changed the oil since I bought it.

When did you buy it?

Since you bought it could mean a variety of time scales.

Internet searching is your friend. As this isn't a rover forum, it's only others' good graces that they could google for you what you can google yourself.

The auto parts store can also find capacities and recommend filter part numbers.

Originally Posted By: Chris142

When did you buy it?

Doesn't really matter, since he's surely been topping off the oil daily!
grin2.gif

From my sources....

Engine Sump Oil
3.9L Engine 6.1 L (10.20 imp. pts./12.30 US pts.)

4.0L Engine 4.9 L (8.70 imp. pts./10.40 US pts.)

Extra Required When Replacing Oil Filter
3.9L Engine 0.56 L (1.00 imp. pts./1.20 US pts.)

4.0L Engine 0.4 L (0.70 imp. pts./0.85 US pts.)

Oil type
Summer oil 10W/40
Winter oil 5W/30, 5W/40

Wow ! Nice Tangent Shannow, good web site. I had no idea the old Rover 3.5L V8 was a Buick. There you go.

A good write up on the Aussie Falcons too.

Above, I was trying to practice a little cultural sensitivity, probably very badly, I think Dexos is a better oil standard than just SN. However I'm a ACEA A3/B3/B4 type of guy and would run it in everything. Talking to Garak, it seems ACEA is a bit rare over there (with a few obvious exceptions like M1 0W-40), but the HDEOs (with CI. CJ, E7, E9) seem to be common and affordable.

Me ? Here? I would probably run a mineral HDEO 15W-40 like Delo or Castrol RX. Over there? Not sure about all these winter cold start problems they talk about. To me winter is the nice time of year, I'm sweating my ring off in summer. But their synthetic HDEOs like Rotella T6 seem to have a 5W-40 and should start better in a real winter. Same with something like SynPower 5W-40 which is A3/B4.

Where I live, years ago I would happily use Penrite 20W-60 all year round, and probably still could. But I'm going light now days, and more interested in 15W-40.

Originally Posted By: Garak
A3/B3 A3/B4 up here usually translates into "Give me all your money."
wink.gif

Hey Garak, here even simple old GTX comes in three flavors: 10W30 SN-ILSAC, 15W40 SN-A3/B3 and classic 20W50 SL. All cheap as chips and easy to find.

I find HDEO a bit on the expensive side, and rarely on sale. Easier to buy a full synthetic PCMO on sale, most of them would be A3/B4.

I was at the local petrol station the other day, they stock Havoline oil. As well as unlocked toilets, free air and clean windscreen squeegees. Service station oil is usually overpriced, no exception here with their PCMOs. But ! They had Delo, and it was relatively cheap (not great, but definitely the best buy in the shop). Seems like I've been looking in all the wrong places for HDEO, it's been right under my nose the whole time.

Last edited:
I cant help but wonder if Mobil 1 10w40 HM would be a good choice.

It is an A3/B3 oil. High zinc and since it is a HM formulation, it should help with any leaks.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Hey Garak, here even simple old GTX comes in three flavors: 10W30 SN-ILSAC, 15W40 SN-A3/B3 and classic 20W50 SL. All cheap as chips and easy to find.

We finally got lucky a few months back with the Castrol 0w-40 now being in jugs, and going on sale once in a while. Our biggest problem, for the longest time, was that M1 0w-40 and GC were only in quart bottles, which meant some high prices. The 0w-30 is still only in one quart bottles, but at least the M1 0w-40 and Castrol 0w-40 have different sizes!
wink.gif

Oh, and we don't get the M1 HM like the U.S. does, either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back