TRD oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to be contrary to an observation, but I have a Denso right here cut up and the media seems quite a bit thicker than most other paper filters. Even the pictures online sort of show that I think. The TRD is even thicker but it is a racing filter, synthetic, mainly designed for high flow. TRD stands for Toyota racing development I believe. The logic doesn't fit, so likely it is something else causing the problem. Toyota puts their name on the TRD filters, which means they are tested to work right.

Originally Posted By: Hessam
i am running the TRD cartridge filter in my Tundra now... using this truck for severe duty service (mostly towing). Not happy with the TRD over the regular paper Toyota/Denso filters. There is a flow issue with the TRD's for my application. hearing start-up engine rattle that I did not hear with the regular Toyota filters. Also the oil pressure does not seem to get to the regular pressure as quickly with the TRD filters versus the regular Toyota filters.

Start-up engine rattle isn't caused by restrictive media ... it's caused by the ADBV not working correctly. It takes longer for the oil pressure to fill with oil again and build pressure because the oil passages have drained out, similar to what happens when you change oil and remove the filter and let the oil passages drain. Start ups right after an oil filter change always take longer to see normal oil pressure.

Aren't the TRD filters full synthetic like the Royal Purple (basically the same guts). Full synthetic media looks "thicker" and usually has less pleats because it's a "depth filtering" kind of media vs a "surface filtering" cellulose media. A full synthetic media filter should flow better than any cellulose filter in the same size/application.

The Tundra filter housing should be the same as the Land Cruiser 5.7L which is mounted down without an ADBV.

In a side by side comparison with the OEM, the only factor is the permeability of the TRD media.

I'd go back to the standard OEM if start up rattle is occurring.

The chance it is the media, or the tube holes, on a racing filter sold by the manufacturer of the engine, is zero. It could be installed wrong for one, being a cartridge. It could be a lot of things. It isn't the media of the filter, no way.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The chance it is the media, or the tube holes, on a racing filter made by the manufacturer of the engine, is zero. It could be installed wrong for one, being a cartridge. It could be a lot of things. It isn't the media of the filter, no way.

that's a bold statement.

I installed the TRD filter correctly. I have not performed or seen any flow tests done on the TRD filter, but to my eye it seems like an excessively thick filter element... much thicker than the FU synthetic elements, which is why is has about 1/3 of the pleasts of the regular Toyota filters for same application.

Kind of tempted to use a Motorcraft cartridge filter on the 2012 Camry for the better efficiency rating. They're now available on rockauto. So this maybe another option for your rig. I'm happy with the MC filters on the 05 Matrix.

Originally Posted By: Hessam
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The chance it is the media, or the tube holes, on a racing filter made by the manufacturer of the engine, is zero. It could be installed wrong for one, being a cartridge. It could be a lot of things. It isn't the media of the filter, no way.

that's a bold statement.

I installed the TRD filter correctly. I have not performed or seen any flow tests done on the TRD filter, but to my eye it seems like an excessively thick filter element... much thicker than the FU synthetic elements, which is why is has about 1/3 of the pleasts of the regular Toyota filters for same application.

Not a bold statement, it's always a possibility even if the person thinks they did it right. The filter is designed to be not restrictive, read what Toyota says about them, every other word is about flow. So looking at the media with eyes and claiming it is thick doesn't change how it actually works. The issue is no doubt caused by something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back