Presure waser oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently changed the oil in the pump section of my electric pressure washer. Although technically a non-serviceable item, I was in there repairing a problem. Although difficult to describe, the pump section uses 3 plungers operated by a shaft spinning a canted washer, the washer as it spins slides across the top of the plungers pushing then down and releasing them. Needless to say this is a high wear design, and the oil in there was nasty. All I had laying around was some PP 5-30 so I used that, unfortunately it doesn't work well and I end up with some nice rainbows in the water sitting around the pump.

The original oil was thinner than gear oil, and looked to be a bit thicker than the 5-30 I put in. Unfortunately that is all I can tell you about the oil.

Any recommendation other than some cheap ~40w for the pump?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Most pumps on pressure washers use a non-detergent straight 30 grade oil. HTH

That would be my guess as well. And it's available cheap in one quart containers at WalMart. It's what I used on my air compressor.

Whatever SAE 30 ND product you find on the shelf likely meets API SA (not suitable for use in gasoline-powered automotive engines built after 1930!!!), nor has it been tested against any standard that would ensure suitability in a compressor (D1401, D130, D892, D665, etc.)

You have to ask yourself - Is my compressor functioning well because of what I'm doing, or in spite of it?

Whoops -- had compressors on the mind.
crazy.gif

Pressure washer pumps are what I was referring to.

Wobble Pump, thanks for the info.

The pressure washer looks to be a Shop Force 1600 ( http://www.ppe-pressure-washer-parts.com/shop-force-1600-power-washer-parts )

Just a simple washer that only has a few hours on it. I use it once, maybe twice a year for washing the back patio, or recently cleaning the driveway for new sealant.

Unfortunately I didn't fix the problem when I had it apart. It has sprung a leak on the inlet side, and that seems to be tripping the GFCI circuit (!?). I need to pull it apart again to look at it, and where it is leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back