API Starburst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
What is the difference with oils that display this on the front of the bottle VS bottles with the starburst on the backside?

The Starburst is only on the front and indicates that the oil is ILSAC certified. The Donut is on the back and is on any API certified oil, including certifed monogrades, HDEOs, and ILSAC certified PCMOs.

I just noticed that the Valvoline Maxlife that i purchased in 5W20 has the starburst and dexos approval but the same oil in 5W30 does not.

It doesnt have the starburst either? It should be API SN.

Not sure why it wouldnt have the dexos label, but last time I looked, it was on GM's approved dexos oils list.

Originally Posted By: Fordai
I just noticed that the Valvoline Maxlife that i purchased in 5W20 has the starburst and dexos approval but the same oil in 5W30 does not.

If you're talking about the Dexos1 approval seal/stamp,

That's just a jug that probably had all the printing done on it prior to the announcement. Maxlife 5w30 is dexos1 certified.

Here's the list of approved brands and their viscosity:

http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-brand1/

MaxLife 5w-30 also used to not be ILSAC rated, so this stuff could be pretty old if there's no Starburst.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
What is the difference with oils that display this on the front of the bottle VS bottles with the starburst on the backside?

The Starburst is only on the front and indicates that the oil is ILSAC certified. The Donut is on the back and is on any API certified oil, including certifed monogrades, HDEOs, and ILSAC certified PCMOs.

I believe you may be wrong on this.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Nope. Here's an API SM, GL-4/3/2....

Except those aren't expected to be found on the shelf any longer, unless it's mighty old stock.
wink.gif

As your Pennzoil link indicates:

Originally Posted By: Pennzoil Link
The Starburst identifies engine oils recommended for a certain application, such as “For Gasoline Engines.” To carry this symbol on the container, the oil must meet the most current requirements of ILSAC, which is the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee, a joint effort of U.S. and Japanese automobile manufacturers.

The emphasis is mine. Basically, as I said earlier in the thread, only ILSAC oils have a Starburst, whereas API licensed HDEOs and monogrades can and will have a donut on the back. My Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 has a Donut on the back for CJ-4/SM. I have an old jug of QS with a Starburst and SM/GF-4 on the back and a a quart bottle of PYB with a Starburst and SN/GF-5 on the back.

Garak please quit polluting my thread.

I have a bottle of oil withhe starburst on the front of the bottle and no mention of ILSAC anywhere on the bottle.

I am trying to promote honesty. I do not understand why you are peddling lies. Do you have an underground agenda? I have asked the moderators to move you from the site!

Okay after double checking both have the starburst and the donut BUT the 5W30 is not dexos approved. Sorry for all the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back