MS-6395 same as ILSAC ratings?

I own a few Stellantis products that require MS-6395 oil and today I learned that Kirkland and SuperTech do not specifically state MS-6395 on their bottles.

Ive looked around and can’t seem to find an “approved oil” list that is current.

Can anybody explain the relation of MS-6395 with ILSAC or API certifications, if there are any?

MS-6395 is an obsolete spec.. dont worry about it.. Any syn oil should exceed it.
or simply buy one with the spec.

Its a manufacturer spec.. but being older.. it is not very stringent.

Yeah I just wonder about a situation where an engine failure comes into play with warranty and they demand oil change records.

Yeah I just wonder about a situation where an engine failure comes into play with warranty and they demand oil change records.
What vehicle is this?

There is no relationship where you can say "I'm using api SP it exceeds ms-6395"

If that is a concern buy an oil with the ms-6395.. plenty to choose from.

MS-13 is the most feared specification. Has high levels of lead. Mara Salvatrucha 13

Its a manufacturer spec..
It's not even that. It's a Material Specification that basically says that the oil has to meet, get this, API SM "Resource Concerving" specification. Before FCA was part of Stellantis, they had an exclusive deal with Shell for motor oils (Mopar 8&9 Speed/Lifeguard 8 ATF is also made by Shell), so they used the MS-6395 to keep customers "hostage" to SOPUS products. For years Mobil didn't have a single product, except for a few entry lubes, that "meet the Chrysler MS-6395" specification.

Ive looked around and can’t seem to find an “approved oil” list that is current.
Ignore MS-6395, and just any motor oil you want.

Pennzoil Y-Bottle, Quaker state green bottle, Chevron supreme synthetic blend 5w30 oils all meet the spec. The same brands in synthetic also have MS-6395 printed on the bottle, I asked a similar question a month ago… I have a Fiat 500 that use MS-6395 and currently use Pennzoil synthetic blend 5w30 Y-Bottle.

If you want to read it:

It really is a nothing spec. Almost any oil meets it, just whether they want to go with whatever licensing may be needed.

If there's a warranty concern, buy one of the many, many products that say they meet the spec and then after warranty move on to whatever you want.
I just wonder why some manufacturers list the spec and some don’t. There must be a reason. 🤷🏼‍♂️

If you want to read it:

It really is a nothing spec. Almost any oil meets it, just whether they want to go with whatever licensing may be needed.

If there's a warranty concern, buy one of the many, many products that say they meet the spec and then after warranty move on to whatever you want.
Good Information, All modern oils work just fine, My warranty expired years ago and I used a few oils that have that spec labeled on the bottle, I switch back and forth from PYB to Quaker state green bottle. The oil change before last I use Quaker state ultimate durability 5w30 full synthetic, I use more synthetic blends because they’re cheaper per quart at Target and Home Depot.

Back