saggy coil springs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed a few days ago that the front end of my old van ('97 Mazda MPV) seemed to be sitting a bit low. As it turns out, there's about an inch less clearance between the top of the tire and the fender liner on the passenger side than there is on the driver's side.

I haven't pulled the wheel or anything yet, but a quick look seems to indicate that the spring is seated properly.

So, I figure the problem is a weak coil spring. (The front suspension is McPherson strut.)

(Or, I could be totally wrong, but don't think a bad strut would cause the front end to sit lower.)

So far I've only been able to find springs from the dealer. They're just over $250 each, and I don't know if I want to spend that much on this old vehicle. It's been great, but it may be time.

Unfortunately, no-one seems to make a Quick-strut-type replacement for the 1st-Gen MPV.

I'm a bit reluctant to go used, as it's a fair bit of labour to change the springs, and the used ones might be no better. The availability of used parts for these has really dried up in recent years.

I wonder whether anyone here has used those rubber inserts to bolster a weak spring.

Thanks all, for your thoughts on this.

Can you buy "quick struts" for it? No matter how you look at it, the spring sits between the body and suspension, if it sags the body drops.

I would take the front tires off and give the whole suspension a thorough check to make sure that's the issue. Could be worn control arm bushings or the strut mount is done, but it's probably a worn spring.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Can you buy "quick struts" for it? No matter how you look at it, the spring sits between the body and suspension, if it sags the body drops.

OP says in his post quick struts not available...

On a level surface turn the wheels so you can measure the length of the springs. Gotta start someplace, might as well be something easy before you start taking things apart.

When the leaf spring on my f150 broke i went to a spring dealer. There really is such a thing. They went off dimensions and found one that fit. You could ask around. There could be an app thats slightly different snd very common.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Its an MPV,lucky there are any parts available for it.

The dealer's been excellent about getting parts for me. I've never not been able to get a part.

Try jacking the front end off the ground and see if one wheel expands a lot faster than the other.
I had a problem recently on my '92 Vigor where a front strut stopped rebounding well. I didn't notice it that much thanks to the large sway bar. Then the other front strut stopped rebounding as well, and it became a low-rider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back