Smartphones are making rush hour worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
use the horn very liberally. works wonders.

+1 Being the masshole that I am I do it all the time. On the other hand I live near an intersection where this happens all the time and It drives me up a wall. I can never win lol

Something has got to be done about all of these idiots and their cell phone use while driving...there isn't one good thing about it, and more and more people are dying in accidents caused by people being distracted by cell phone use...this has gone way beyond ridiculous!

I really ticked a guy off(his manhood maybe) in a diesel truck with stacks by quick honking as he was barely rolling in traffic checking his smartphone near a city square. I wanted to cut in front out of him(plenty space) out of parallel parking space but also make him aware of me doing that as his eyes were on phone rolling.

So after that he goes nuts revving diesel smoke and honking. Thankfully a foot cop's attention was caught with my chirp of horn as noticed cop look at me. Hoping nut got at least a hands free violation amongst other items.

Most people are far to cavalier about running their cars.

However, if they were on a city bus and the driver was doing something other than driving, they'd film them and publicly shame them.

Considering you can easily kill someone with a motor vehicle, shouldn't driving distracted/drugged/etc. be closer to reckless endangerment ? Take what you are doing seriously, for crying out loud.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I've noticed more and more people are playing around with their smartphone behind the wheel.

A friend of mine has a long commute in heavy traffic... in the past 6 months, he's been rear-ended... TWICE. Both times, girls texting while driving.
Originally Posted By: wemay
I 100% agree! I also spend more time looking in my rear view mirror when i'm the last one in line at a stop-light. It has really gotten ridiculous.

Yup, me too, even before getting rear ended a few years ago by an apparently driverless pickup. The reason? Driver dropped her cell phone. She braked at the very last moment because I went nuts on my horn. Fortunately the drivers ahead of me at the light pulled up so I wasn't pushed into them as well.
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
In driver education course we were taught to wait an extra second at a green light because of many accidents by people running red lights. So in this case I could care less about the dolts in a rush. Never had anyone honk at me though it wouldnt affect anything anyways.

I have never had a problem with someone taking an extra second, or even two or three. You're OK in my book! Or, starting off a bit slowly, either. After 5 seconds and no movement at all, I think a SHORT toot on the horn is appropriate.
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I have my phone OFF while in the car...I have voice mail. I must be a minority.

You are. In my state there's a hands-free phone law. Every day on my commute I see people holding their phones to their faces. Every single day.

I have a factory phone dock for my Android phone. It is supposed to auto-start when docked (special USB cable). Every few months, updates break it, and it takes them months to fix it. There are very few complaints about it on the App page, because most people don't buy the factory dock and don't even know the App exists on their phone- indeed, there's not even an icon for it in the App drawer.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
I really ticked a guy off(his manhood maybe) in a diesel truck with stacks by quick honking as he was barely rolling in traffic checking his smartphone near a city square.

Definitely his manhood. DieselTards are the most insecure twerps on the planet, not to mention environmental and driving hazards. I no longer beep at them because they throw their vehicle at me to run me off the road. EVERY TIME. Roid rage maybe? I think their behavior is the worst in my state because it is not a shall-issue CCW state. I just give them an undercover finger and realize I have so much more to live for and look forward to than they do (that is, I save or spend my money on my kids, while they are headed towards fuel and repair cost poverty, a suspended license, repossessed vehicle and/or sky-high insurance premiums.)
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I just bought 4 horns at the junkyard from a Buick Roadmaster. Haven't had a chance to hook them up but I will soon!

I normally don't try to prioritize other people's lives, but you need to GET ON THAT NOW. Like a dashcam, it doesn't do any good in the trunk. The life (or insurance premiums, etc.) you save may be your own.

The phone thing is awful, people are unable to control themselves and have to keep faceworlding all the time. I mean faceworld is so awesome why not just give up on life so you can sit in a small room and just faceworld and update your relationship status 24/7.

They keep harping on the drunks but the phone people are the worst. My cousin has smashed up a few cars texting and simply doesn't care.

Phones should lock except for calling and GPS when they are in a car. Also all airbags should be replaced with a sharp spike.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
In driver education course we were taught to wait an extra second at a green light because of many accidents by people running red lights. So in this case I could care less about the dolts in a rush. Never had anyone honk at me though it wouldnt affect anything anyways.

Better than waiting with your blinders on, is just to look both ways as you go with the light...

Exactly, pay attention and be proactive instead of taking extra time for no reason.

My point wasn't that I'm at the light with my eyes closed, reading the newspaper or looking at my phone. It is that I take a few seconds to look around, make sure others are actually stopping and not going to run the red light.

I notice too often that green means go and immediately when it hits green people stomp on the accelerator and go. Taking a few seconds to look around and make sure others are stopping is smart in my book as my life is more important than a few seconds of your time.

I notice too often that green means go and immediately when it hits green people stomp on the accelerator and go. Taking a few seconds to look around and make sure others are stopping is smart in my book as my life is more important than a few seconds of your time.

I try to strike a balance. If you are too patient, there are those who will continue to make left turns in front of you or right on red in front of you.

So you have to start moving to signal to those who would extend their "right of way" into the time that has been given to you by the light.

I'm not saying cause accidents. I'm saying get moving so those who would try to push their way through will see that those with the right of way are moving.

It helps to drive an older car that you don't mind they hit
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: wemay
I 100% agree! I also spend more time looking in my rear view mirror when i'm the last one in line at a stop-light. It has really gotten ridiculous.

This is something that has come in handy for me a few times. I usually leave 2 or 3 car lengths between me and the car ahead of me and I am always looking for a place to duck out to in case someone doesn't stop.

I do exactly the same and I watch what's happening in the rear view too. I don't trust anyone. Also as far as phones etc go it seems to me that the younger generation are the worst. I keep seeing discussions regarding age limits for older people to be driving which would be funny if they weren't serious. To some of the folks that I see in a vehicle around me in traffic (I omit the word driving deliberately) the fact that they are even in a vehicle is a distraction from what they are really doing.

I'm noticing more and more truck drivers... 18 wheelers.... with their head down apparently doing the smart phone twiddle. Quite often while rolling in traffic. Nice.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Originally Posted By: razel
Recently may have been a victim of distracted smartphone driving twice. The insurance agent mentioned that it's been up on the rise and joked that it's been keeping them busy.

This thread is right. The facts are, traffic deaths are up for 2015, partly due to texting/smartphones. See http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/17/autos/traffic-fatalities-up-2015/

And it's just going to get worse. People are addicted to their smartphones and could care less about how to drive - it's more important to know what's going on with their Facebook page or Twitter account.

It will take a long time for all these idiots to find out the hard way that it will someday catch up to them in some kind of accident. Trying to educate people how dangerous it is doesn't seem to work.

Watch a line of cars at 5:10 pm. 9/10 drivers will have a phone in their ear. If you have to decompress and complain to your spouse/ girlfriend about how mean your boss was to you that day maybe consider getting in a better line of work.

This morning I pulled up to an intersection and noticed one of those portable message boards typically used for road construction. It read "Texting at a red light is illegal".

Soon there will be driverless cars so that the occupants can indulge themselves in smartphones. No joke, there's a huge market demand for driverless cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back