early 2000s Honda odyssey transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HangFire
Custom fabricating the gearbox to shift linkages for a one-off minivan conversion is well beyond the scope of consumer questions here on Mechanical/Maintenance. Suggesting that such a custom arrangement is a practical repair is beyond laughable.

Perhaps you are perfectly serious in your own mind, Olas, but you're still laughable and you're still trolling.
I refuse to own a car with an automatic trans.. But I agree that swapping over to a mt in a van that never had one as an option would be a major job. What about the computer? would it know that it is no longer plugged into an AT and throw a code and a failed emission test?

Olas you're ridiculous.

Of course your manual transmission hasn't failed on your VW, you have 78,000 miles in 33 years.

And you've replaced the clutch on your car already? Doesn't sound very reliable to me.

Originally Posted By: tdpark
i believe the 99-2001 the clutch material was not up to snuff so basically the clutches wore out as the vehicle was too heavey. 2002 to early 2004 had lubrication issues with 3rd gear. Late 2004s had an internal fix. I have a late 2004- I have 266k miles on mine and I have been religious about fluid changes and at 260k miles I swapped out the third an 4th pressure switches due to blinking D light. As mentioned before- pressure switches were easy to get at and easy to fix.

Hangfire is correct- there is a filter and I know people on the oydclub forum that have changed it out- not impossible but not super easy. Most dealers will claim it does not have one.

This was on-topic and as I recall dead-on.

We had an 02 with over 100k on it. solid vehicle, original transmission. The only issues were an A/C repair and recurring nuisances with the power sliding doors. Drivetrain never gave us any trouble. The van was totaled by being T-boned by a Durango at 35 mph. van was totalled but everyone walked away. it still drove straight as an arrow, though the doors and seatbelts were jammed. I have a lot of respect for that vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Olas you're ridiculous.

Of course your manual transmission hasn't failed on your VW, you have 78,000 miles in 33 years.

And you've replaced the clutch on your car already? Doesn't sound very reliable to me.

No, I haven't replaced the clutch. I pulled it to get to the flywheel which was lightened, rebuilt and the original clutch went back in. Granted, the Scirocco doesn't have astronomical mileage but I've flogged other cars with the same gearbox to north of 250k and they've never failed me.
Sometimes they need replacing if you buy something with over 150k miles, but then it's a couple of hours and less than £100. How long does it take and how much does it cost to pull, repair and refit a auto?

Custom fabricating the gearbox to shift linkages for a one-off minivan conversion is well beyond the scope of consumer questions here on Mechanical/Maintenance. Suggesting that such a custom arrangement is a practical repair is beyond laughable.

Perhaps you are perfectly serious in your own mind, Olas, but you're still laughable and you're still trolling.

No custom fab, if you're lulling the box out of something at the scrapyard you may as well take the linkage (most probably cable on a car of this age) as well. Speedboat rudder cables make a perfectly good substitute, just as a montainbike brake cable can be used as a throttle cable.

If your going to pull the auto anyway you have tools and know what you're doing, and if you're going to do it you may as well do it right.
No troll.

Originally Posted By: tcp71
Olas,
While the engine may allow a manual transmission to attach to it, the unibody floor pan has no access for the shifter, there are no provisions for a clutch pedal to be added under the dash, the engine control module requires input from the transmission control module to run the engine. This is not an old carburated engine and transmission. The change would require vast changes to the entire vehicle. Suggesting dropping a manual into this model is beyond stupid.

Cut a hole, and pull the pedalbox out of the car yu pull the gearbox out of. If you're picking parts, pull the ecu too. Or have someone map out the shift function, or put a resistor n it's place. Heck, buy DTA and map it how you want it..

Or even simpler, cheaper and more productive - buy a manual vehicle!

Originally Posted By: Olas

No custom fab, if you're lulling the box out of something at the scrapyard you may as well take the linkage (most probably cable on a car of this age) as well. Speedboat rudder cables make a perfectly good substitute, just as a montainbike brake cable can be used as a throttle cable.

If your going to pull the auto anyway you have tools and know what you're doing, and if you're going to do it you may as well do it right.
No troll.

Were 1999+ Odyssey's available in Europe with a manual trans? I'm sure the older ones were, but I doubt these ones ever had one. I suppose there might be an Accord V6 mtx that might possibly fit?
Anyways, someone might have done a mtx swap for fun, but I can't see how it would be more economical than just getting another plug and play atx.

====================
I doubt 1 in 10,000 odyssey owners would consider a manual. especially in stop and go traffic. maybe 1 in 40000 women.
Or in a school drop off line, or on an uphill road at a stop light.

Last edited:
I think car and driver or somesuch converted an odyssey to a manual for the lap of America a few years back. It has been done and I wish there was a kit- I would totally do it.

Weight transfer and car balance are crucial, and an auto simply can NOT get it right.

A strongly hypocritical statement from someone with a front-drive, front-engine car. Wait, you weren't saying your car was better in the regard?

Originally Posted By: edwardh1

====================
I doubt 1 in 10,000 odyssey owners would consider a manual. especially in stop and go traffic. maybe 1 in 40000 women.
Or in a school drop off line, or on an uphill road at a stop light.

Are you implying that American drivers don't know the art of the hill start? Or that American women are lazy? Or both?

When the options are : spend less and enjoy more
Or
Spend more and enjoy less

It really isnt even worth discussing, fit the part that's cheaper and easier to maintain and don't worry about sub-standard parts fitted from the factory.

Originally Posted By: tdpark
I think car and driver or somesuch converted an odyssey to a manual for the lap of America a few years back. It has been done and I wish there was a kit- I would totally do it.

Ah cool, so it IS posssible and it HAS been done? Good info, thanks dude
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
Weight transfer and car balance are crucial, and an auto simply can NOT get it right.

A strongly hypocritical statement from someone with a front-drive, front-engine car. Wait, you weren't saying your car was better in the regard?

I wasnt saying my car is better, I didn't mention my car at all. I said that manuals are better balanced and I said it because you choose the gear and throttle input before the corner, then when turning you can hold constant throttle.
Very often an auto won't change until you've slowed down and started to turn in. Gearchanges on corners upset balance.

But FWIW,both the Rocco and the Oddyssey are both FWD, except I have the advantage in balance and handling because of corner-weighted Leda coil overs, Yokohama A539 rubber and an all up weight of So it turns out your assumption was correct!
smile.gif

Is it reasonable thinking that
1) clutch packs in Honda automatic transmissions come in to picture only during the shifting i.e. they should have minimal slippage for fraction of second during the actual shift
2) torque converter on the other hand is designed to do the slipping.
3) at steady state, do the clutches still play any role?
4) What I am asking is, in an Honda transmission, does clutch pack plays role of synchros and the torque converter is the one which plays role of a clutch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back