Smartphones are making rush hour worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed more and more people are playing around with their smartphone behind the wheel. What I'm seeing is that the lead vehicle at a stoplight often has a driver using their smaprtphone. The light goes green and it takes them and extra 2 seconds before they notice and hit the gas. That just caused one, maybe two less vehicles to drive through the light while green.
And during traffic jams on the freeway, I'm seeing more people glimpse at their phone and they react slower to hit the gas pedal as vehicles creep forward.

I 100% agree! I also spend more time looking in my rear view mirror when i'm the last one in line at a stop-light. It has really gotten ridiculous.

These dolts need a train-horn-ing. And if you were to corner them on their neglect they'd shrug and ask what you're so wound up about.

I agree. If I can see the person ahead of me isn't looking up when the light changes, I've become one of "those" people and started hitting the horn, and not just a love tap in the hopes they'll wake up. Some of the left-turn lights I pass through are set so that if the first car doesn't move immediately, it goes to yellow almost instantly so you'd think people that busy that they're connected 24/7 would be paying attention at those intersections...
wink.gif

Laws just changed in Ontario - fine upped to $490 for using a smartphone while operating a vehicle (hands free is OK) and 3 demerit points on your driver's license.
Interesting sidebar, noticed that while in Florida cell phone use is allowed while operating a car, and no helmets required for motorcycles. Checked death rates per 100,000 Ontario vs Florida. 3.x in Ontario and 12.x in Florida.

I have a crowded left turn to get through on my way home and this has become a huge issue there, most cars take 2-5 seconds to get moving when they're at the head of the line. I guess they figure there's no way there's going to miss the light in that position and it's a great time to play Candy Crush. This can easily keep a half dozen cars from making a light they should have had easily, plus people get steamed and run the red because they figure that has become their right as a wronged driver.

Big Lexus SUV did this at that light when I was right behind it, then they did the same thing going straight at the next light a mile or so down the road. The second wait was so long that I gave them a very quick toot of the horn...I watched the lady look up from her phone, give me the evil eye in her mirror, shake her head, and then SLOWLY get going while she put her phone away. She was still crawling when we got to a passing zone after another half a mile, with no oncoming traffic I lit it up and passed her with some authority. She immediately sped up to try to block me (no chance), gave me the bird, and flashed her lights like mad when I got back in the lane.
Yeah, I was the big jerk there, right?? Funny thing is I think I knew who she was, a pompous witch who took joy in making the kids miserable when she "helped" run a group my daughter had joined years ago. Told my kid about her driving and she said that lady's daughter can't even stand to be around her.

Last edited:
In driver education course we were taught to wait an extra second at a green light because of many accidents by people running red lights. So in this case I could care less about the dolts in a rush. Never had anyone honk at me though it wouldnt affect anything anyways.

These phones are definitely causing slowdowns and difficulty of pedestrians getting around on the crowded streets of New York City during rush hour.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
In driver education course we were taught to wait an extra second at a green light because of many accidents by people running red lights. So in this case I could care less about the dolts in a rush. Never had anyone honk at me though it wouldnt affect anything anyways.

Better than waiting with your blinders on, is just to look both ways as you go with the light...

In driver education course we were taught to wait an extra second at a green light because of many accidents by people running red lights.

Instead of waiting 1 second just release your brake, and don't gas as quickly. Gives you plenty of time to stop if needed and avoids the friendly reminder honking.

Recently may have been a victim of distracted smartphone driving twice. The insurance agent mentioned that it's been up on the rise and joked that it's been keeping them busy. I take it business is good. I think like the SUV fad when gas prices went up several years, SUV sales dropped a bit. I think the same for smartphone usage in a car. As insurance rates/accident payouts happen, usage will drop a bit.

Money's nature will take it's course

200% agree.

To me, its a very clear indication of the degree to which too many people are completely self centered.

The left turn lights here in S. FL are the worst. One cell phone zombie can mess it up for so many behind them. How much consideration, awareness and caring does it take to GET MOVING so that those behind me can also make it thru?!

I, fortunately do not have to drive in rush hour traffic.

Its bad and getting worse.

I often look around me at stop lights to see whos doing what. Its the older generations that like me (Im 40) are just sitiing there, paying attention, waiting for the light to change...the rest, the younger zombies are all at it with the [censored] phones.

Drives me nuts.

Isnt it the case thought that you're the [censored] when you honk to wake them up and get them moving!

Originally Posted By: wemay
I 100% agree! I also spend more time looking in my rear view mirror when i'm the last one in line at a stop-light. It has really gotten ridiculous.

This is something that has come in handy for me a few times. I usually leave 2 or 3 car lengths between me and the car ahead of me and I am always looking for a place to duck out to in case someone doesn't stop.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Better than waiting with your blinders on, is just to look both ways as you go with the light...

+ 1, that was the firs thing I thought of when I read that post.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Exactly, pay attention and be proactive instead of taking extra time for no reason.

Why would you sit at a light and not pay attention to what's going on around you?

Seems like it makes you an easier target for some other scammer or crook.

I could see someone in front of the smart phone user back into the inattentive driver and claim their car was rolling forward, hitting them.

How could they deny it when they were on their phone?

Yeah people do that all the time here. I honk at them to get them going. On the freeway when someone is texting while driving I blare my horn at them and wake them up.

I just bought 4 horns at the junkyard from a Buick Roadmaster. Haven't had a chance to hook them up but I will soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back