Dex-cool never changed because only 60k

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my uncle's '04 Impala (3.8) and it on;y has 62k miles on it. Onviously it's way past the 5 year mark of the Dex-Cool mileage guarantee. My question is though, does it need a professional flush and refill, or will me just cycling it at home with prestone do the job. I've had no problems with the temp or anything related.

Flush it, but unless you get it all out and I mean all of it, put the Dex-cool of your choice back in it.

Avoid a chain like Firestone. They're likely not to care.
Better to feel out a local mechanic with a routine job like this.

Can you do it yourself? Will you take 4 gallons of old coolant to recycling?

After initial draining, rinsing with water to the point where you've gotten 4 gallons out you can spill additional rinses on the ground. Finish with distilled water rinses

Inspect the hoses.
Ask the BITOGers who know the engine if thermostat replacement is advised. Yours has age not mileage.

I'd just do a couple drain and fills with 50/50 unless there's visible floaters

If it is dirty and needs a flush I agree searching for a independent mechanic

We just bought an '04 Buick w/ ~ 65K miles and the 3.8. The coolant looked great, but the engine was leaking a little oil from the lower intake gasket. When I opened it up to change the gaskets there was goop like mud in a couple of the coolant passages and enough erosion on the aluminum manifold near the coolant passages that I was worried about it sealing and replaced it. It had apparently been leaking a little coolant as well.

So, I would definitely do a good job flushing it. I put Dexcool back in, I figure at this point it should last the life of the car.

Remove the lower rad hose, drain what you can from there. Re install the hose and fill w distilled water. Drive it for a couple of days. Repeat the drain and refill until the car drains just water. It may take 5-6 times. Find out the coolant capacity of you vehicle. So if you vehicle takes 3 gallons in the cooling system, pour 1.5 gallons of full strength dexcool in and top off with distilled water. That way u have 50\50. And this is DIY

Last edited:
I doubt you will even need a flush but it wouldn't hurt to remove and replace the bottom hose and let both engine and radiator drain better. Obviously replace the top hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back