By weight how much 2 cycle oil for 50:1 ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cat broke my favorite 1oz graduate and I have a quart bottle of 2 cycle oil for snowblower /chain saw/tiller. I only purchase gas 1-2 gallon size. I would like to just measure out by weight the amount of oil for 40:1 and 50:1. per gallon. Does anyone know how much I'd need?

You would need to know the specific gravity of the particular oil your using, eyeballing off the markings on the bottle should be close enough for most equipment.

Not knowing weight per gallon of oil I have done this in the past wpg are close to each other but at 40:1 it is approximately 20.5grams per quart.

A measuring cup measures volume, a scale measures weight.
An ounce (oz) is a unit of weight
A fluid ounce (fl oz) is a unit of volume

2.6 fl oz of oil per gallon of gas gives a 50:1 ratio
3.2 fl oz of oil per gallon of gas gives a 40:1 ratio.

Just give 'er 2 shot glasses.
Clean it up with some Buffalo Trace
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
a gallon = 128oz.

2oz of oil in 128oz is 64-1
2.5oz oil in 128oz is 51-1
3oz of oil in 128oz=42-1.

Danger, Will Robinson! Units are being mixed.

The volumetric quantities you gave are correct for US fluid ounces. To translate those into mass quantities (i.e. International avoirdupois ounces) one would need to know the specific gravity of gasoline and two-stroke oil.

Buying a measuring cup would probably be easier.

I mix my fuel in small quantities and store it in a quart oil bottle, 5-ml per 8-oz of gas for a 50:1 mix. This is what I use in my string trimmer, otherwise the fuel goes bad before using a gallon.. Sometimes I use Amsoil 100:1 and a teaspoon makes 1-pint of fuel.

go metric, all of this will be a tad easier. You would still need a measure or know the specific weight of you oil though.

Isn't the ratio designed to be by volume anyway? Who actually gets out a scale and does it by weight? But we all have measuring cups.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
Isn't the ratio designed to be by volume anyway? Who actually gets out a scale and does it by weight? But we all have measuring cups.
Easily converted to weight.

Originally Posted By: tgrudzin
My cat broke my favorite 1oz graduate and I have a quart bottle of 2 cycle oil for snowblower /chain saw/tiller. I only purchase gas 1-2 gallon size. I would like to just measure out by weight the amount of oil for 40:1 and 50:1. per gallon. Does anyone know how much I'd need?

For the Mr. Einstein
smile.gif

1Liter.......100%
X............2% (1:50) X is in liters!!!

For your knowledge it will be better to change 1L with 1000mL
smile.gif

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=liter+to+quart+calculator

If you have android phone.......go on google play and search for 2 stroke oil mix calculator or someting....

Originally Posted By: exranger06

These are correct.

Fuel weighs ~ 100oz per gallon for E10. 1% ratio enhancement would be 1oz, 2% ( 50/1) would be 2oz - BY WEIGHT. This making assumption that the oil is same density as the fuel - which would likely not be correct - but close enough
smile.gif

And more straightforward in metrics
50:1 is 2% which would be 2 deciliters in a 10 liter (100 deciliter) jug
40:1 is 2.5% which would be 2.5 deciliters in a 10 liter jug
Most oil bottles have deciliter markings, so just pour your number.

Kind of removes some of the cumbersome calculations, right? Nice huh?

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Originally Posted By: exranger06

These are correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back