Replaced Master and Slave Clutch Cylinders

Status
Not open for further replies.
After discussion about my clutch issues in this post: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ing#Post3786915 I went ahead and took the prevailing wisdom to repalce both the master and the slave. I replaced them both with Centric parts, which looked nice and installed without a problem. After removing the previous master I was struck my how amazingly dirty it was in the reservoir. When I was bleeding the remaining fluid out of the lines it looked like well... let's just say it was pretty gross looking. Looked like something you'd see in a medical lab with the doctors standing around it saying, "Yup, he's a gonner"

compared to the new one, even with fluid in it topped off, you can see all the way to the bottom. I took the cap off just long enough to snap a photo.

Pretty amazing to me that clutch fluid could look this bad. To my knowledge it has never been changed in 205K miles. Is this a sign of something specific like lines degrading or something like that?

No. It's a hydraulic system. It builds up wear material just like any other system with wearable seals and metal components. You have to remember that brake fluid needs to be flushed regularly (3 years by most manufacturers) because it is hygroscopic and takes on water that can lead to corrosion.

Stay on top of it in the future.

Yeah, regular maintenance is needed for both brake and clutch systems.

I bleed my S2000 brake and clutch systems every 3-4 years. Every oil change(once a year) I siphon brake fluid in both reservoirs, this way it has a partial new fluid to help a little between bleeding.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back