Clutch pedal not returning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1995 Lexus SC300 5 speed with just over 205K on it. Runs fine, except for a clutch problem. Sometimes when pushing down the clutch pedal, the pedal does not return as expected. It says depressed very nearly all the way to the floor. I can still shift with it like this. The pedal does come up very slightly from the floor and the car can be driven. Press the clutch down all the way to the floor and I can change gears, but it's hard to get it into gear, I assume because the clutch is not fully disengaged. I can get the clutch to return to its normal position by taking my foot and pulling the pedal up, then it springs back to it's normal position and operates normally again.

Is this a sign of clutch cylinder issues or something else? A little assistance would be appreciated.

Clutch master or slave cylinder is leaking. In my experience, unless the vehicle on its last legs, replace both. The fluid gets pretty nasty, and both are contaminated.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Pedal return spring broken or detached

I thought the pedal return spring was just to keep the weight of the pedal from depressing the clutch. If the spring were broken, wouldn't it misbehaving all the time? It does not.

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
Clutch master or slave cylinder is leaking. In my experience, unless the vehicle on its last legs, replace both. The fluid gets pretty nasty, and both are contaminated.

I agree with replacing both. I have had way to many bad experiences when the customer wanted something done cheaply.

That in mind, sometimes you can get away with replacing the slave cylinder only. My dad had Toyotas in the 70s, and he had to replace the clutch slave cylinders more than once, but he never had to replace a master cylinder. However, unlike in your situation, dad never drove those cars as long as you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back