M1 Oil Filter Gasket Failed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a first today - while under my SUV to change the oil I noticed a good deal of oil leakage all under the oil pan , skid plate , etc. When I removed the M1 oil filter the gasket was hard and flat on one side causing oil to leak through that side ... OCI was 9,000 miles over 6 months so nothing stupid long there . I used a oil filter cup socket plus socket wrench extension to remove the filter (Chevy TB oil filter is hard to reach) and the oil filter was snug - but not crazy tight like dealership or oil change places have installed in the past with cheap oil filters where the gasket was just fine with no leaks . Not sure what to make of this ? Not hating on M1 oil filters - but I find this strange .

They all make defective filters from time to time, nothing is without an issue at some point or another.

probably posted this before, but years ago I worked at a forklift dealer ship. I was called into the office and the manager gave me a couple boxes of filters and a pile of paper and said go change all these filters and don't come back until they are all installed.Clarklift called and said the trans filters are bad and warranty them. These were huge $40.00 filters in around 1988. Stuff happens. R@R the filter and get a refund.

Good idea PaulH.

Ever since I had a double gasket on a motorcycle I try to always check for leaks. Also, you may want to rev it slightly a few times after oil pressure is present since, that is when the oil went gushing out of my bike engine. I think if I would not have revved it after the oil and filter change, I could have been down the street and lost the engine or slicked the rear tire.

Did you oil the new gasket prior to installation?

Did you clean the filter mount so that the gasket doesn't sit on any crud/dirt that might've fallen into place during old filter removal?

Did you tighten properly to torque?

Did you notice an oil level loss?

Dry gasket, dirt, too tight or loose, doubled, or missing, are the only gasket failures that I've seen.

The way you said it was flat on one side makes me wonder if it was installed cross threaded.

I oiled the gasket well prior to installation and it went on smooth and tightened properly . Next I am going to inspect the filter mount on the Chevy to see if any build up of debris or anything which needs attention .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back