'10 Elantra Extended Size Oil Filter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current '10 Hyndai Elantra uses a Fram XG9688 oil filter ...Curious if there is an extended length version oil filter which could safely be used ?

I've used the old longer Honda Accord filter on my 2008 Elatra (same HD model as the 2010) with no issues. I think it was the (discontinued) Pureone 24458...

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Current '10 Hyndai Elantra uses a Fram XG9688 oil filter ...Curious if there is an extended length version oil filter which could safely be used ?

A slightly larger oil filter is going to have ZERO benefit to your engine. Stick with what the filter manufacturer specifies.

I laugh at the guys with 2013s,2014s who "want the best" for their new GM truck,and want the "longer" version of the stock filter.As the stock one "is too dinky to do anything".Of course they change the oil at 3000 mile intervals,so whats the advantage there? Just the knowledge knowing they just 2nd guessed the GM engineers and went them one better because a hick carpenter knows more than a MIT graduate? Guess they should have bought a Ford or RAM,they wouldn't have needed to get a bigger filter...

Yeah, don't 2nd guess those GM engineers that screwed up the DI OLM programming.

If you plan on extending the oil change interval, or just want the increased capacity, or know if there is an family engineering defect(like the 2.4GDI bearing failure issue), then larger is an option.

Trial fit:
WIX/Napa: 51344, 51626, 51347, 51182, 51285, 51287, 51324 (can be crossed over to other brands)

Problem with lower volume filters is that you don't always get the fancy media, silicone ADBV... or good/better/best filter choices(PH9688 vs TG9688 vs XG9688).

When oversizing, know your thread... 20mmx1.5
Remove OE filter, clean filter mount, remove gasket from oversized filter and verify that it fits the engine filter mount.
Verify filter diameter will fit space required.
Verify filter isn't so long that it will hit a speed bump.
Verify filter screws on and seals. Filter mounts vary.
And, always prefill filter as it takes several seconds to fill up, and some more time to burp out all air bubbles.

Oversized filter? VWAG solution to undersumped sludging 1.8T. VW engineers didn't screw that up????
Oversized filter? Ford too confused on whether to use FL-2055 or FL-500s on the 3.5T DI ecojunk F150. Ford's flip flopping would make me worried as the engine is beginning to show weaknesses.

Easier to go remote mount:
http://www.shop.perma-cool.com/10616-Standard-Oil-Filter-Relocation-Kit-single-M20x15-10616.htm

Ignore naysayers. They do nothing and are most happy when no-one can think for themselves or do anything out of the ordinary. They can only follow and never lead. Too many zombies on internet forums already.

Good luck with your choice. But the top-tier filters, like the XG9688/51334XP/PSL14459/EA15k20/D3312/10-2808, are going to be hard to beat in that 20mm thread without going with a remote mounted XG8A equivalent, or a maybe Trasko TMR-10s.

Not sure if someone was trying to insult carpenters. But, the carpenters that built my house were extremely knowledgeable. Can't say the same for some over educated MIT grads that I know that are dysfunctionally out of touch with the real world.

Well stated man. Like you said.. Verify same thread size and bypass psi.
It will not hurt a thing. Will it lead to longer engine life? No. Out of warranty is the only time it should be done. Just in case on the weird occurrence something were to happen under warranty.

You can use the other poster's Wix numbers to find your Fram. Looking up the Wix's given to Fram, I find the height a measly 3/8 in. more. Wix has no cross to the xg9688. You will need to cut them open to see which one has taller media. But then one may have deeper media which negates taller. Can't tell from the outside. Then you have to consider the Ultras high efficiency dual layer synthetic media with stainless steel mesh behind. The one you use is not very small, and you are using one of the best values on the market.
Score one more free for me.

IMO, this filter already is "over-sized." It can be used as a replacement for the 6607/7313 which are both pretty small.

Also if yours is anything like the one my mom used to have, a larger filter would make it hang below the pan. Not good if you were to hit some road debris.

I bet those little things bypass a lot. If they didn't they would be ripping up what little media they have I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back