School me on Popup Campers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to repack the wheel bearings tomorrow with high temp wheel bearing grease. I think I'll use a silicone based lube for the cable and pulley system.

Weighs 850 dry. I believe it, too.

Ill post some pics of the canopy when I get it set up.

I would be careful putting too much weight on the back. You should have 10% or more tongue weight to reduce sway and any weight on the back reduces the tongue weight on the front.

Whatever happened to those 1950s-1960s camper shells that pickup drivers would place atop the bed and roof of the truck, like a snail carrying a shell? They usually had a little door in the back, and a bed up front over the pickup's cab, and basic appliances and a tiny dinette table inside. This sort of thing: http://oldtrailer.com/Images/1968-ford-truck-chinook-camper-100.jpg

I can imagine they changed the center of gravity of the vehicle enormously, and I sure wouldn't want to drive one on a mountain road at night. Which might answer my question as to why we don't see them any more. . . .

No pickup yet so those won't work for me.

CreeCguy? What happened to him?

Tongue weight is important. We'll see how I end up mounting the bikes.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I would be careful putting too much weight on the back. You should have 10% or more tongue weight to reduce sway and any weight on the back reduces the tongue weight on the front.

Very true the picture I posted earlier in the thread with the deer in the rear rack is about as far as I care to go. I do notice the trailer being a little more sway prone. Usually I just haul a treestand or other lightweight gear on it. a couple bikes should real'y not be an issue

Hmm. May have to reconsider that. All of the storage is behind the axle. I will have to fogged that out.

I spent 8 hours today on it. Bleached the moldy canvas, patched it with gorilla tape, fixed the fender bender and added a marker light, vacuumed and mopped it (mouse poo ...) , bleached the inside now mouse smell is gone, got sink working and tested the electrical.

Checked the bearings and they were repacked recently and have new seals!

It's now ready for a camping trip !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back