Picked up a little trailer!

The wife and I were considering buying a small pickup to use for gardening chores and whatnot, however my FIL has a 2006 Ranger 2x4 2.3 that we'll be inheriting at some point so we decided to look into getting a small trailer instead.

It's really only going to be used for gardening projects, hauling my bike out from the cities, dragging my mower down to work to tune it up, etc. They sell new at Farm & Fleet for $1,299.99 plus tax, I gave $850 for it. It's absolutely mint, the seller thought it had maybe 250 miles on it.

I plan on installing all LED lighting and maybe some of those quick-grease wheel bearings but that's about it. This is my first trailer, our Jeep has never had anything behind it. I had to stop at HF this afternoon for all the goodies I needed to bring it home.

Feels good to adult some days!
1000001791.jpg

Looks like your hitch ball is a little high... probably doesnt matter.
also what's the opinion on safety chains.. I usually cross mine.

good deal now with inflation..
used to be able to get decent cheapies at lowes or TSC for 500-600 now they are 1200-1500.

I have a sure trac 5x8 that is pretty nice. 1500 new with tax and spare.
its a cut or 2 above the cheapies.
A couple thousand miles on it. The rear ramp is quite the windsail..
It tows with 14-18mpg up.. or 25mpg folded flat.

1708044555943.jpg

You just increased the utility of that SUV by 50%. Loading and unloading from a trailer is so much easier vs almost any pickup manufactured in the past 20 years. Nice purchase!!

I have a couple trailers I pull with my Jeep too, no sense in owning a truck for me. No insurance or registration expenses. Just 2 tires every 5-6 years and they're pretty much maintenance free.

I have a couple trailers I pull with my Jeep too, no sense in owning a truck for me. No insurance or registration expenses. Just 2 tires every 5-6 years and they're pretty much maintenance free.
In Ohio my trailer registration is IIRC almost 80% of my car registration.
Seems like a Jip considering it gets a max of 1000 miles a year. Some years 500 or less.

It is much better than a truck for truck style hauling, Mulch, gravel, couch etc.

My small utility trailer came with 13” 175’s - but I swapped to 14” 225’s right away …
What I like best is I can grab it and roll it to the hitch - yet still carry as much weight and CF as a half ton LT …

IMG_5749.jpeg

Seems like a Jip considering it gets a max of 1000 miles a year. Some years 500 or less.

It is much better than a truck for truck style hauling, Mulch, gravel, couch etc.

No worries about registration here in WI. The thing doesn't have a title or a VIN, it's considered "homemade". I could get it titled and plated, but I don't see the point.

Looks like your hitch ball is a little high... probably doesnt matter.
also what's the opinion on safety chains.. I usually cross mine.

good deal now with inflation..
used to be able to get decent cheapies at lowes or TSC for 500-600 now they are 1200-1500.

I have a sure trac 5x8 that is pretty nice. 1500 new with tax and spare.
its a cut or 2 above the cheapies.
A couple thousand miles on it. The rear ramp is quite the windsail..
It tows with 14-18mpg up.. or 25mpg folded flat.

View attachment 203763

The ball is definitely a little high, I just grabbed a cheap 3-way hitch for today to get me by. Next time I'm up by HF I'll pick up a 2" drop hitch and another ball.

My small utility trailer came with 13” 175’s - but I swapped to 14” 225’s right away …
What I like best is I can grab it and roll it to the hitch - yet still carry as much weight and CF as a half ton LT …

View attachment 203764

Thanks for the great idea. I didn't even look to see what size tires came with this one, but I have to imagine they're 13" as well.

Mind sharing where you sourced the larger wheels/tires?

Thanks for the great idea. I didn't even look to see what size tires came with this one, but I have to imagine they're 13" as well.

You have to make sure they would clear the fenders of course.. but Also consider using radials if it came with bias ply.

Oh, I forgot to mention: our WJ is the 4.7 with Select-Trac and the towing package. 6,500# capacity. This little trailer, even fully loaded to 1,500# will be nothing more than the equivalent of a strong headwind.

Tires are Carlisle Ultra Sport - ST225 60 14 - got them and galvanized wagon wheels on eBay - hard to find compared to ST205/ST215 - and I don’t know if a 75 A/R would work on your fenders …
Yard stick is your friend 👍

Yikes that's expensive. About $100 to fully register and plate trailers here. Permanent registration.

Here's my 2:
The truckbed trailer was a boat trailer that I put a bed from a 2012 Ram on that was rear ended so it has a hump in the floor.
The flat trailer hauls the sand rail so I put a used truck toolbox on it and a small winch in case I ever need it. Also hauls bigger flat things on it.

1B52EB05-BBA4-4B85-A468-42ED4ECABC3F.jpeg

D6E1450B-D20C-4FED-AD2B-6E348219BBBF.jpeg

Regardless of what the seller told you, check your hubs and bearings to make sure they are properly greased. You don’t want to be swapping out a seized bearing on the side of the road. I know this from painful experience.

Yikes that's expensive. About $100 to fully register and plate trailers here. Permanent registration.

Here's my 2:
The truckbed trailer was a boat trailer that I put a bed from a 2012 Ram on that was rear ended so it has a hump in the floor.
The flat trailer hauls the sand rail so I put a used truck toolbox on it and a small winch in case I ever need it. Also hauls bigger flat things on it.

View attachment 203791
View attachment 203792

Very cool

Back