John Deere L130 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've borrowed my neighbors JD L130 (Kohler engine) mower as my 25 year old Toro rear engine rider has finally given up the ghost.

I'm fine with everything except for this: when engaging the pto switch for the blades, which looks like
mIrTpPIfRTFxa1h5h3A8Bnw.jpg
this, does the clutch (left pedal) need to be pushed in, or is there anything else important to remember about engaging the blades? High or low throttle?

My neighbor left for a vacation on a cruise ship right after lending me the mower, so I can't ask him. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Last edited:
You can engage them while moving or stopped. In reverse they might not engage. There is a momentary contact button if I remember to push in and hold if you want to cut in reverse.

Thanks for the reply Donald, and you are right about there being a button that you have to push if you want to cut in reverse.

Another question about the JD L130:

I've borrowed the mower about 3 times in the last month, and have had the following happen each time. After mowing, I park it in my garage (attached to the house), and within a short while the house smells like gasoline. The first time I used the mower, I left right after parking it in the garage and when I came back a few hours later the house smelled like someone had poured gasoline all over the inside of the house. The smell was very strong. I mentioned it to my neighbor when I returned it, but he has a detached garage and says he hadn't really noticed anything.

The same thing has happened the other times I have borrowed it. I get done mowing, park it in the garage, and then the house and garage smell strongly of gasoline. There is no gas leak that I can see. No gas on the garage floor or on the mower, and the level in the fuel tank doesn't change. The mower does blow some white smoke when starting, and it frequently backfires when turning it off. It has the Kohler 23 hp engine.

I can't believe that this is normal, not with how strong the gas smell is inside the house, with a closed door out to the garage. Does anyone have any clue what might be causing this? Thanks for any help.

Jeff

First off you need to get the wall between you house and garage sealed up. That is bad for several reasons.

Second is you are leaking gas somewhere. Internally is what it sounds like.

Originally Posted By: Gizmo8800
Does anyone have any clue what might be causing this? Thanks for any help.

Jeff

A very poor seal between the house and garage. With the door to the garage closed, you should never be able to smell anything generated in the garage while in the house. Get that fixed immediately.

shut the blades off and throttle down the engine to idle before turning off with the key. If you turn off the engine while running fast, you may be pulling gas into the engine and out the exhaust, hence the gas smell. My L111 JD does not smell of gas after shutdown. Agree with others about the garage and house separation. ed

I've borrowed my neighbors JD L130 (Kohler engine) mower

I've borrowed the mower about 3 times in the last month

Why are you borrowing the mower so often? He is probably just being neighborly and friendly, but down inside he is not happy about it.

It's time to get off your rear end and go buy a mower.

Power equipment is the last thing I would lend out. If a neighbor needs their lawn mowed, I'd do it for them for $25, but I wouldn't lend my equipment out.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Why are you borrowing the mower so often? He is probably just being neighborly and friendly, but down inside he is not happy about it.

Power equipment is the last thing I would lend out. If a neighbor needs their lawn mowed, I'd do it for them for $25, but I wouldn't lend my equipment out.

Agreed ^^^^

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Agreed ^^^^

Agreed^^^^^^ X1000!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back