How many of you use Rhino Ramps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
I'm curious as to how many of you use Rhino Ramps when changing your oil? Are there two different kinds of them? I see a low profile rhino ramp on the net which has a 17 degree incline and is 8.5" high, is there another version which is steeper and higher?

Is there anywhere online I could order them from at a good price? The one place I found in a Google search that sells them online showed them for $47, but I thought Pepboys sold them for much cheaper.

I haven't seen them in Canada yet, I wish they'd sell them at Canadian Tire!
frown.gif
My current ramps are pretty steep, and when I get a 97 Corvette I know it won't make it up them (especially since the tires will be too wide for these ramps)

I have Rhino Ramps.

Had to get them for my son's 94 Camaro. I have some old steeper, taller steel ramps that would not work.

I went to the garage now and measured. They are 6-1/2 inches high--at the rolled edge. The platform is a little less.

They were from WalMart $29.97US.

I use a set of the 8" ones that I got at Menards for $20. They work ok but my drive is not flat enough for the rubber puck at the front end to work reliably so I still have to put down a throw rug under them. The only problem was when I stupidly let an extension roll under one before I put the truck up. I caused a chunk of plastc to pop out of the side wall but it still works ok.

I use them on my cars. THey are so much faster then jack and jack stands. Walmart under $30.

You can also cut the ramped portion off and use them to increase your range of motion on exercises.

Years ago, I made a set of home made ramps. I had some 4X4 wood left over from a fence project, so I cut six pieces about 2 foot long, cut a slope on the pieces about 10 inches long and bolted them together (three per ramp). After adding a small strip of wood on one end for a "stop" and some plumbers strap w/heater hose for a handle, they were done.

They fit under the lowest of cars and provide 3-1/2 inches of lift. While they are a bit heavy, they are super sturdy. The lift is enough to do oil changes and simple under-the-car work.

I have low profile Rhino Ramps. I have to use the ramps. I have owned Saturn cars and their is no central jacking point on these cars. You either have to figure out how to jack both sides or else use ramps.

On the Saturn Ion, the oil filter element (which it uses instead of an oil filter can) is very easy to reach. The oil filter on the old Saturn SL2s was a nightmare-and messy. Changing oil on the Saturn Ion is pretty easy. You do need a large socket for the container for the oil filter element.

I just got some Rhino's at Advance Auto for $30 US and like them a lot.

I used to use two 2x10" boards nailed together with an angle cut on one end. It was just enough to get an oil pan underneath the chassis.

They are available in the states everywhere for I believe 30 bucks. If you can't get them there let me know I can always buy them and ship 'em.

I have 2 sets for the Camaro. I drive up one set and then use 2 floor jacks to get the back end up and then drop the back of the car on the 2nd set of ramps so the car is level and I can get all the way under it. It works great and is pretty safe!

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
They are available in the states everywhere for I believe 30 bucks. If you can't get them there let me know I can always buy them and ship 'em.

That's a generous offer Al, I may just take you up on it!

cool.gif
I honestly don't remember what brand my new ones are, but in the box was an order form to buy extensions that make the ramp not so steep but I never got them. My truck is a 4x4 so I don't need ramps, van rolls up no problem, wife's Grand Am scrapes a little, mom's Eldorado scrapes more but it's okay.

I use Rhinos. When I first got my Neon, the steel ramps I had wouldn't work- ditto with other steel ramps I saw at parts stores. (The front end of 95-99 Neons is pretty low.)

A few years went by, then the local gas station guy stripped my drain plug, & I went looking again. I found Rhino Ramps, & they worked! I use 'em at every oil change. Here in the USA, price is usually ~$20-$25/pair, available in lotsa places.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

That's a generous offer Al, I may just take you up on it!

I'll price them and let you know how much including shiping. Might take me a couple of days.
smile.gif

I have them, and they work great for my low profile 2002 civic for oil and trans fluid changes!! Keep your eye out, some places like wally world in michigan had them for 19 bucks, although, I paid 25 for my set at autozone!!!

Kragen flyer here shows them for $19.99 today. Don't know if they are the high or low ones.

You might look at Kragen's web site.

I just noticed that Checker and Schuck's may be related to Kragen.

My ramps turned out to be a little too high for my 2000 Monte Carlo. Not wanting to buy new ramps, I found two old 2x10" boards and propped up the front of the ramp with them. That way I drive up onto the boards, then up onto the ramp, which doesn't scrape anymore due to the lower angle.

I hda a blast changing the oil with the Rhinos-- much easier than jacking and jack-standing.

However, I almost drove off the end. Even though i had a spotter, boost came up too quick and i went hurtling up the ramp. I had thought of this possibility, so i put it in first gear before going.

Oh what i would have given for a standard tranny..

ferb!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back