USCGC Eagle Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great story.

The Russians already have a couple of sailing ships so I doubt they wanted another one. Wonder what it was traded for? Probably some destroyer that the US Navy didn't want.

Great story,
I read it the other day on BBC

I too would like to know what other stuff was up for grabs.

Last edited:
Why SHOULDN'T the USGC use a spoil of war which suits their training needs? Should the taxpayers be obliged to buy a NEW one instead just because the Germans once owned this one? The writer of that article is a mo-ron.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Why SHOULDN'T the USGC use a spoil of war which suits their training needs? Should the taxpayers be obliged to buy a NEW one instead just because the Germans once owned this one? The writer of that article is a mo-ron.

When I read the article yesterday, I don't remember the writer being critical of the U.S. for accepting the ship?

Where would the U.S. space program be today without Spoils of war?

The comments section of that article is quite revealing. I have done my share of blue-water-sailing to know how miserable one could be at times..

here are comments from one of my older buddies on the subject:

sailing ships

in about 1947 , recall having seen steel Barque 4-master , coming into Bristol - Avonmouth Docks
with a cargo of wheat from Australia : am pretty sure it was the "Passat".

"1932 when Passat was sold to the Gustaf Erikson Line of Finland. The ship was then used in the grain trade from Spencer Gulf in South Australia to Europe. At the onset of World War II, Passat was at her home port Mariehamn in the Åland Islands of Finland"

sister ship the "Pamir" was lost in a Hurricane in the altantic in 1957 : am aware , because :
i was working as a deck-boy on a Norwegian 3500 tonner { summer holidays from university} , the "Korsnes" coming from the Canadian
port of Newcastle , New Brunswick with pulp-wood for Velsen , Netherlands : the Korsnes had
about 18 feet high deck-cargo lashed by ropes : the deck cargo was almost all lost in the storm.

The storm was huge : we had to steam [motor] into the storm for 3 days until it had calmed down enough to enter the Velsen Canal ::

one could see the propellers of other large ships, come right out of the water , as they dived over the wave-crests , riding out the storm.

"Pamir" lost ALL hands

btw . i had an uncle : VERY tough : who was a priest : he sailed round Cape Horn :

my dad sailed around north Scotland in a Barque : bad experience : Sails were "Shredded" - just rags

Passat is a German four-masted steel barque and one of the Flying P-Liners, the famous sailing ships of the German shipping company F. Laeisz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back