Replace tires in pairs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would buy a pair, preferably of the same model already on there, and put them on the front---if the others are really no less than 7/32"---then leave it that way, with no rotation, till the tread-depth evens out. (Brace for the "better-on-back" debate; a legit point if the rear tires are 'well' below the fronts, but not if they are 7/32 or more.)

Then either sell the oddball tire on CL or keep it in case of another flat.

I had a similar problem once. Had a set of Pirelli P4; one picked up a nail and a sloooow leak. By the time I caught it, the tire had worn well below the other three. Maybe 5.5 compared to 7.5-8. I thought about getting two tires and doing what I suggested above, but decided to put the worn tire at left rear, where it would wear the least, and forego rotation.

No perfect answer here, but with quality tires on a FWD DD driven gently I would not sweat the lack of perfection.

Last edited:
I have replaced individual tires, if your current set is still good I'd just replace one.

Back when I was broke and in college I replaced all 4 tires on my beater car one at a time over 4 paychecks!

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I have replaced individual tires, if your current set is still good I'd just replace one.

Back when I was broke and in college I replaced all 4 tires on my beater car one at a time over 4 paychecks!

I remember doing just that when I put kelly chargers on my old cavalier..

But unless the tires are pretty new, I'd replace in pairs just in case.....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

In a bind, that will get you by. The Power of the Dollar trumps any handbook on maintenance.

In pairs is better, "per axle." Some cars you "have to" do all 4...

4/32nds only changes the rolling circumference by .8 inches per revolution. I would guess even some matched new tires vary that much. If it is that critical on some vehicles, I would measure them for sure, regardless of tread depth.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: InfmousCornholio
Originally Posted By: daves87rs

In a bind, that will get you by. The Power of the Dollar trumps any handbook on maintenance.

In pairs is better, "per axle." Some cars you "have to" do all 4...

When I was poor, all I could afford was Junkyard tires. Every winter, I was in the ditch 3 or more times. That drove me to get a better education and better paying job. Thus, better tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back